Recent content by Rio Grande King

1. Rio Grande King

What are you watching?

Zak, Was so taken with how clever and unconventional Deadlock was that I watched it twice- second time with my wife. You may want to YouTube the other work that the Kate's (McCartney and McLennan) have put out. The Katering Show is a hoot.
  2. Rio Grande King

Chasing salmon flies

Just ONE tiny box of salmon flies?
  3. 1689440649740.jpeg

1689440649740.jpeg

4. Rio Grande King

Who fishes Scuds?

FW&P have determined that scuds comprise 80% of the diet at a local lake. You better believe we fish scuds there. They do like leeches for desert.
  5. Rio Grande King

Keeping a yearly fishing journal...

I abhor body counts- bland accountancy was never my thing. Commercially available fishing journals have lots of slots for hard data; wind, moon phase, water temperature, fly patterns and, of course, number of fish landed. But unless you're fishing for memories you're missing the point. It has...
  6. Rio Grande King

I like Ants

Hard bodied black ants are probably the most effective pattern you can fish in alpine lakes. Just sink one and as the cruisers swim by one will invariably grab. Brings back happy memories from my Colorado childhood.
  7. Rio Grande King

NFR Jim Brown RIP

Yes!! Many years ago I had dinner with a fellow who had the unfortunate task of trying to defend Jim Brown in lacrosse. He told me that as great as he was at football he was an even better lacrosse player. Scary.
  8. Rio Grande King

Say Whaaa? Hatchery fish appear to harm wild stock.

1974 Montana stopped stocking rivers. Credit mainly to Dick Vincent's work-Stocking
  9. Rio Grande King

Rain Jacket

Go Griz !
  10. Rio Grande King

Cayuga duck

Amazing iridescence to those feathers.
  11. Rio Grande King

BC lakes fly recommendations?

Here's a Knouff Lake version that fishes really well. Fluorescent red or orange dyed GP tippet tail Peacock chenille Holographic rib- (on newest ones been securing holo with fine blue wire) Hackle the "bluest" pheasant you can find
  12. 1680374300024.jpeg

1680374300024.jpeg

13. Rio Grande King

Have You Attempted These?

Grew up fishing the South Platte below Cheeseman Dam. Small flies were always the ticket there and I've always loved that approach. The most extreme I ever took it was on the Fall River near Bend in 2002. Just for grins I'd mail-ordered some 12X Varivas tippet- which strictly according to the X...
  14. Varivas 12X.jpeg

Varivas 12X.jpeg

15. Rio Grande King

Wife's landscapes on display

The Dana Gallery here in Missoula recently put up this wonderful wall of Janet Sullivan's landscapes.