What's in your vise?

Zoran

Steelhead
You get some great detail in your photographs, I'd like to know what the materials are on your ties. Nice!!
Hanak BL450 hook in size 14
Brown thread from Veevus
CDL tail
Grey dyed turkey biot
No name tungsten bead 2.5mm
Bronze collar dub

Very simple ingredients. I always cut translucent side of biot to be able to wrap it more times on short shanks.

No glue used. Fly is not extremely durable.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Hanak BL450 hook in size 14
Brown thread from Veevus
CDL tail
Grey dyed turkey biot
No name tungsten bead 2.5mm
Bronze collar dub

Very simple ingredients. I always cut translucent side of biot to be able to wrap it more times on short shanks.

No glue used. Fly is not extremely durable.
Thanks - CDL probably isn't an American commercial driver's license but coc de leon. Interesting that you cut (slice) the biot. Thanks!!/Patrick

Zoran

Steelhead
It is Coq De Leon. 🍻
When dealing with short shanks you have to trim biot. As you can see I made 6-7 wraps on relatively short shank (Hanak BL450) size 14. I could make 4-5 wraps on size 16 and still looks good.

Reactions: Zak

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Thanks, I'm the worst at keeping my tying stuff cataloged for instance hooks I just separate and dump into small plano's so the short answer is I have no idea! Regarding the second question I haven't fished these little hooks enough to know but I have had good success connecting on fish when I find them with the SS15 and SC15 with other pattern types.
still learning the beach game, it's fun stuff!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
The hole on these 4.8 slotted copper beads is too darn small to go around the 60 degree bend of my sz. 8 jig hooks. These are Waspi, is there a brand with a bigger hole?
20240225_115551.jpg
This is what I wanted on that hook.
20240225_114928.jpg

Zak

Legend
Spring BWO

Hook: TMC 3769
Tail: pheasant tail
Rib: small gold wire
Abdomen: Vevus body quill
Thorax: olive ice dub

If anyone knows how to tighten the ice dub on the thorax, I would appreciate the advice. I’m using a dubbing loop with 8/0 thread.

View attachment 104781
Maybe try dubbing wax, rolling the ice dub directly onto the thread, and tightening the dubbing with every turn after it gets started on the fly?

Bob N

Steelhead
All bead manufacture‘s seem to have runs where the hole is smaller. Never seen the production but it happens. Try that bead on a smaller hook, it might fit but would not look good.

Bob N

Steelhead
Maybe try dubbing wax, rolling the ice dub directly onto the thread, and tightening the dubbing with every turn after it gets started on the fly?
Try dubbing wax on your fingers, it gives you better traction. Another thing to do is sparse amounts of ice dub, like you would do for a dry fly that way you’ll get better traction on the dubbing,

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The hole on these 4.8 slotted copper beads is too darn small to go around the 60 degree bend of my sz. 8 jig hooks. These are Waspi, is there a brand with a bigger hole?
View attachment 104742
This is what I wanted on that hook.
View attachment 104743
Tom, not sure what brand hooks that you are using but here are some beads with larger holes. I use the Tungsten Bomb beads on my version of @Billy’s crawdad pattern. I tie them on larger Ahrex jig hooks. All of these fit on the Firehole size 8 hook. They are not slotted but work fine. Other than that, I have found that the Hanak slotted beads fit on all of the hooks in my selection. All of the beads and the hooks probably came from the Deschutes Angler, with the exception of the Big Y beads. I’m in the Tri Cities and if I call DA in the morning, my order usually shows up in 2-3 days. Hope this helps. Mark
IMG_3004.jpeg

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Spring BWO
Hook: TMC 3769
Tail: pheasant tail
Rib: small gold wire
Abdomen: Vevus body quill
Thorax: olive ice dub

If anyone knows how to tighten the ice dub on the thorax, I would appreciate the advice. I’m using a dubbing loop with 8/0 thread.

View attachment 104781Split thread
Directionally stack the fibers, split thread dub method by inserting the fiber horizontally, dub with rearward strokes after each wrap, tie off and then fluff fibers outward, pinch pull to trim to desired thickness (or use scissors to trim) to give it a natural peacock herl look.

Scottp

Legend
Balanced Damsel

53552556553_f55c0e6edc_c.jpg

53552804155_4d14e909f3_c.jpg

53551497812_7f06e96cd5_c.jpg

Based on Davie McPhail’s version .

hook - WFC Model 20 #14
thread - SemperFli 8/0 fluoro yellow
pin - #17 1 1/16”
bead - 1/8 chartreuse
rib - small wire gold
tail/abdomen- marabou olive
thorax - Ice Dub Caddis Green
shoulder - partridge dyed neon olive (1 Tbs Rit Neon Yellow/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

Last edited: