coho

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
Nice! I find coho tricky with a spey. Did it hit on your swing, soaking, or stripping?
I started off swinging and changing a lot of flies. I kept going smaller and smaller then started trying to vary my retrieval. I finally dug out a fly I tied last season trying to figure out the low water situation that worked. Lengthened my leader and got the twitching movement I was looking for. Casting perpendicular to the river then start twitching strips as the fly started to swing. Had to cut my line off as the fly was in its throat.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I started off swinging and changing a lot of flies. I kept going smaller and smaller then started trying to vary my retrieval. I finally dug out a fly I tied last season trying to figure out the low water situation that worked. Lengthened my leader and got the twitching movement I was looking for. Casting perpendicular to the river then start twitching strips as the fly started to swing. Had to cut my line off as the fly was in its throat.

Would be interested to see that fly. Years ago at a still water fishery in the CR Gorge, I had a few cases where steelhead inhaled small flies deep, well past the gill rakers.

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
I feel like because it's so sparsely dressed it gets that quicker dropping motion that silvers seem to love

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I feel like smaller than what you'd expect, the right color and being on top of fish is 95% of the game.

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin I was fishin
That is a #1 chartruse Dick Nite that has been seriously beat up on the back cast. A switch rod solves that issue. The #0 size cast better but I have more confidence in the #1. The larger ones make a cool whizzing sound in the air too! Bull trout like them also. The humpies not so much.
The drag on that old Lampson is less than worthless when wet.
IMG_4578.jpg

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
View attachment 87954View attachment 87955View attachment 87956View attachment 87957
Took Friday off. It was a good decision.

Lost count of fish kinda day.

Slack jawed borax huckers saying what the hell kinda day.

Kept two.

Jealous. Our CR trib coho have seemingly vanished. Took a day of vacation Wed to hit pocket water on the first big rain event in over a week. Should've seen dozens if not hundreds jamming upriver. But nuthin! Maybe bad timing, but same thing reported on another nearby trib.

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Jealous. Our CR trib coho have seemingly vanished. Took a day of vacation Wed to hit pocket water on the first big rain event in over a week. Should've seen dozens if not hundreds jamming upriver. But nuthin! Maybe bad timing, but same thing reported on another nearby trib.
Ya I've had to travel a bit farther up river the last couple outings. Not terminal by any means, but far enough that i am being picky about what I harvest.

Last edited:

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fished the big river, found a bunch of lock jawed fish holding by marblemount in a pool. Wasted too much time targeting the same fish tbh but my buddy was was too tunnel visioned to be moved. Saw folks catching fish, but it was purely an egg bite. Tried lil Cleo’s, twitch jigs, blue fox with and without hoochie, and some comet flies.

Good spot though, definitely gonna return through November if I have time for B runs, and be up there for springers

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Fished the big river, found a bunch of lock jawed fish holding by marblemount in a pool. Wasted too much time targeting the same fish tbh but my buddy was was too tunnel visioned to be moved. Saw folks catching fish, but it was purely an egg bite. Tried lil Cleo’s, twitch jigs, blue fox with and without hoochie, and some comet flies.

Good spot though, definitely gonna return through November if I have time for B runs, and be up there for springers

Found 3 chromers in the lower river and 1 darkish fish released. Seen about 100 pinks still spawning, some where quite fresh looking.