Yakima walk and wade advice

Arbutus menziesii

Just Hatched
Hi everyone,

I’ve been fly fishing for about a year now and am hoping for your wisdom on walk and wade fishing the Yakima.

I’ve gone out a few times this year while the flow has been lower but have been skunked each time. I’ve been primarily using a nymph and dropper set up and a sculpzilla streamer (though with floating line). I’ve fished places that I think should hold fish: soft seams, slower riffles, heads and tails of pools, in front of boulders, drop offs, even slow water and water that’s probably too fast. Nothing.

I’ve focused more on moving up and down stream rather than changing flies, not spending a great deal of time at any given spot. I think my drifts are ok? In some cases I tick bottom, so I think I’m often deep enough but maybe not. I find this bigger river much more challenging than the smaller streams I’ve been on. On previous trips to the yak, I’ve only landed smaller 8-10” fish.

Any advice?
Should I hire a guide for a float trip to learn the river?
Not asking for your secret spots (though I’ll gladly accept if you want to share!), but is there a general section of the river you like for spring wading?

Thanks!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
How do you find the forks in the winter and spring? I'm guessing you have more success in the summer and fall, but curious how you find it this time of year.
There's some good fishing to be had on the South Fork. Headed there Sunday.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
How do you find the forks in the winter and spring? I'm guessing you have more success in the summer and fall, but curious how you find it this time of year.

The peaks of summer and winter tend to be less productive, but the remainder of the year is good.

My favorite time of year is when runoff hits and the river explodes. The river gets very little pressure, because a lot of folks think the fishing is no good. Once you figure out how to fish, in those conditions, it can be some of the best fishing of the year.

Arbutus menziesii

Just Hatched
@Arbutus menziesii you might find some useful info on Reds youtube channel. There's a few videos on there he did specifically regarding walk n wade on the yak. You might even recognize a few of the spots :)
Thanks! I’ve seen some of these but will look a bit more closely. Definitely a helpful resource. Also part of my “am I doing this right?” questioning upon a trip sans fish.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm fairly new myself.
I've had a fly tying kit since age 8. And a fly pole since high school (I'm 36). But really the last 2 years I've gotten serious.

Rivers are fickle. I can slay some montana rivers consistently, have my spots. Spokane river, which is home, i suck. Some sucess, some eh..?

Personally, nymphs aren't my thing. Despite it being the majority of the food source. I try, God knows lol.
And I have no experience on the yak. My first experience will be June 15th for rowing lessons for my new raft.

But what I'm getting at is, work the seasons.
November is different than April is different than July. Maybe some hoppers on the yak hit the spot. It's not one size fits all. Patience and persistence.

I've floated some rivers with guides. Experience helps a ton. They point out stuff I'm maybe blind or ignorant to. Being new, it ain't cheap, but it's worth it.

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hi everyone,

I’ve been fly fishing for about a year now and am hoping for your wisdom on walk and wade fishing the Yakima.

I’ve gone out a few times this year while the flow has been lower but have been skunked each time. I’ve been primarily using a nymph and dropper set up and a sculpzilla streamer (though with floating line). I’ve fished places that I think should hold fish: soft seams, slower riffles, heads and tails of pools, in front of boulders, drop offs, even slow water and water that’s probably too fast. Nothing.

I’ve focused more on moving up and down stream rather than changing flies, not spending a great deal of time at any given spot. I think my drifts are ok? In some cases I tick bottom, so I think I’m often deep enough but maybe not. I find this bigger river much more challenging than the smaller streams I’ve been on. On previous trips to the yak, I’ve only landed smaller 8-10” fish.

Any advice?
Should I hire a guide for a float trip to learn the river?
Not asking for your secret spots (though I’ll gladly accept if you want to share!), but is there a general section of the river you like for spring wading?

Thanks!
If floating by single person craft I would put in at Irene-Rhinehart park lots of places to get out fish from shore get out at Ringer. By drift boat then Ringer on down fish tend to be bigger hooked into lots of 20 inch fish. Wet wading then get a good map plenty of places to fish there is fish all over the Yak finding a place that's not taken in good weather. I've had some epic days on the Yak and have got Skunked too many times

stillreleasing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
If your primary method will be walk n wade, do a walk n wade with a guide. My best advice is to book the guide/shop in the general area you want to fish. And then again and make sure you are fishing a different section or river.
Once you learn some sections of the river which will/should be productive, you can apply that to other areas. After that all you have left to do is learn seasonal characteristics, read water graphs, read water, understand basic entomology (and/or use attractor patterns), take up river snorkeling, make reasonable casts and better mends, keep the fish wet, and when it is all said and done, be at the right place at the right time, then don't tell anyone about it and repeat.

Last edited:

WonderBrad

Steelhead
The Yak hates me. So my advice is questionable. I like the Cle Elum stretch best, followed by Ellensburg, followed by the lower canyon. If I hook one fish that's a great day! The Thorp section seems barren to me, but others report good results there. I've gone floating and wading with a guide ( that helped). October caddis is the best time for me. Bobber nymphing is not my jam. I tried switching to streamers with some better results. I've fly fished my entire life. IMO The Yakima river is an enigma that requires serious study to unlock. I don't think the typical walk and wade angler can drive over for a day and do very well consistently.

MVDan

Smolt
The Yak hates me. So my advice is questionable. I like the Cle Elum stretch best, followed by Ellensburg, followed by the lower canyon. If I hook one fish that's a great day! The Thorp section seems barren to me, but others report good results there. I've gone floating and wading with a guide ( that helped). October caddis is the best time for me. Bobber nymphing is not my jam. I tried switching to streamers with some better results. I've fly fished my entire life. IMO The Yakima river is an enigma that requires serious study to unlock. I don't think the typical walk and wade angler can drive over for a day and do very well consistently.
Happy to hear this. I’m a new angler and have tried the upper yak twice with no luck, both in early spring. I have been tempted to drive a bit further to Ellensburg area since Cle Elum has been un-productive for me. Hopefully try to sneak away for a day and give it another shot this month.

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Happy to hear this. I’m a new angler and have tried the upper yak twice with no luck, both in early spring. I have been tempted to drive a bit further to Ellensburg area since Cle Elum has been un-productive for me. Hopefully try to sneak away for a day and give it another shot this month.
Don’t be in hurry to step in water try fishing along side of bank first. For example a friend and I was floating the Yak we stop to fish I ran over four feet of water to get this gravel bar to fish my friend caught two fish out of the spot I ran thru

RCF

Life of the Party
Don’t be in hurry to step in water try fishing along side of bank first. For example a friend and I was floating the Yak we stop to fish I ran over four feet of water to get this gravel bar to fish my friend caught two fish out of the spot I ran thru
Great advice !

Flymph

Steelhead
Used to own a drift boat which floated the Yak a bunch of times. Than, I realized all the spots where I caught fish had parking pull-offs! One thing for sure the Yak is a picture-book stream but very lacking in comparison to the more fertile streams in Montana, Wyoming, and Alberta.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If you are fishing the Yakima, NEVER drive all the way to the canyon from Monroe and then close your rear window on your rod tip.

Actual advice: 3 options for you as I see it.

1. Make fishing friends if you can stomach it. The value of mutual friendship on the way to the river, on the river, leaving the river is priceless in my opinion. Your biggest memories will not just be the fish you caught but the experiences with your friends along the way. Does not matter if your buddy knows anything or not, but enjoying learning with a team mate is fun. If you are an extreme introvert then perhaps consider options 2.

2. Hire a guide but specify the "experience" you want. If you are sick of not having success catching and need a a confidence boost then sitting on front of a drift boat with a skilled oarsman putting you on fish is really fun. BUT, if you want to essentially learn the way you have been doing it then request a walk and wade trip, and ask a shit load of questions, but do not go pimping the guides spot that he takes you after that though.

3. School of hard knocks. Only for those who will become legends.