Yakima River Float

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
This topic will come up soon enough, since this is a new platform, and I don't really want to go back and look at the old, it's getting weird over there.

I'm pretty familiar with the Canyon section, so, would like to explore upper river in a raft above Ellensburg. What are some recommended sections that aren't to technical?

TIA

Sam

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Bristol to Thorpe is a good one.
There were rumblings Bristol was going to get shut down, but haven't heard anything further on it - so assuming it's still open.
Bristol is on private land, there's a donation box inside the gate.
Thorpe takeout is right under the green bridge in Thorpe.

Tacovedo

B-Run Steelhead
Forum Supporter
There are several great floats. 2nd (y) on Bristol to Green Bridge (Thorpe). Also, South to State (East Cle Elum) is another good one if you've never done it. The whole upper canyon is a lot of fun.

My favorite stretches are in the Upper Upper part of the river. Some technical fishing depending on the time of year. You definitely need to go with someone who knows that water until you get familiar with it though. Some sections are not friendly or outright dangerous to a drift boat or large raft. Other stretches are fine.

Reactions: JS

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I prefer the farmlands. KOA to ringer.

Reactions: JS
Which of the sections mentioned above are sufficiently free of hazards that the could be safely floated with a competent/experienced oars-person who has never floated those sections before? (But lots of experience on other sections and other rivers)?

SeaRunner

Steelhead
Which of the sections mentioned above are sufficiently free of hazards that the could be safely floated with a competent/experienced oars-person who has never floated those sections before? (But lots of experience on other sections and other rivers)?

Above Bullfrog can have some tricky spots. I've done it in a raft many times but never a hard boat. Always during the summer. Below Bullfrog there are or were many, many log jams.

South to State is pretty straightforward.

Below State there is or was a log jam that you need to avoid. It used to be you either pulled around or took a side channel. I'm not sure on the current way of dealing with it. I've done the drift from State down to Thorp once or twice but its been a while and I don't remember the float too well. I don't remember anything crazy beyond the log jam below State.

Never done below Thorp but I know there is a diversion dam at some point that spans the river.

Farmlands section had a few stumps and sweepers, but nothing too crazy if you're competent on the oars.

All of the above info is dated. Best to call the shop in Cle Elum and they can give you the current scoop.

Of the above my favorite is probably the Cle Elum stretch, but the Farmlands can be good too. Frankly I've had good days on all of those stretches, and some not so good ones as well.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I'll second the question. And... would they be better in a 13' raft or something like a 9' Catchercraft Freestone.

I've floated from Ringer down many times and float easier sections of the Sol Duc almost weekly for background context.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
All three assuming like you said, free of hazards, would be doable for a first timer who knows the sticks.

Bristol to Thorpe is the easiest in my opinion - most similar to the canyon. No scouting necessary. No side channels and not much wood. Farmlands and South to State there are some side channels and they get a bit of wood.

I'll second the question. And... would they be better in a 13' raft or something like a 9' Catchercraft Freestone.

I've floated from Ringer down many times and float easier sections of the Sol Duc almost weekly for background context.
I bring my 13' raft. But you'd be fine in the Freestone. Especially if you're taking Shuwah regularly.

Tacovedo

B-Run Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Below Bullfrog still has log jams that prevent larger rafts from getting through. It can be done in a 9' Catchercraft Freestone or Watermaster or the like. But you still need to know what you're doing around log jams and there will likely be a spot or two you need to pull your raft out of the river and walk it around—at least the last time I ran it.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
My favorite was always state and take out at River Raft rentals. (Probably dating myself there, but Bob and Karen were nice folks.)
I’d take out at the ramp above the diversion dam now. Took out at the dam itself a few times before the launch was put in.
SF

All three assuming like you said, free of hazards, would be doable for a first timer who knows the sticks.

Bristol to Thorpe is the easiest in my opinion - most similar to the canyon. No scouting necessary. No side channels and not much wood. Farmlands and South to State there are some side channels and they get a bit of wood.

I bring my 13' raft. But you'd be fine in the Freestone. Especially if you're taking Shuwah regularly.
Thanks to all of you for your responses!!! I forgot something very important in my question:

In a 16’ Clacka drift boat? Does that change any answers?

Bristol to Thorpe ok?
Farmlands ok?

I’ve done floats between Ringer and Roza numerous times

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Thanks to all of you for your responses!!! I forgot something very important in my question:

Bristol to Thorpe ok?
Farmlands ok?

I've done Bristol to Thorpe in a 16' drift boat in early October when the flows were under 1000 CFS, it was fine. That's about as low as the river gets.

Haven't done the other two in a drift boat but I'd guess it's fine during summer (high) flows. Not sure about when the river level drops though...

Last edited:

wetline dave

Steelhead
Never take a river for granted. It may have been clean and free yesterday but the next day you could find a sweeper or a log lodged in the channel. This can happen any where so keep in mind rivers are not very forgiving.

I speak, from experience after sinking a drift boat on the Saulk going around a bend that was clear the day before and not the next morning. A sweeper ate the boat and nearly two of us.

Dave

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter

Bristol to Thorpe ok?
Farmlands ok?

Bristol to Thorp: launch from Bristol is really easy for your drift boat and the take out at Thorp bridge is fine.
Thorpe Bridge launch is easy, but most take outs down river (after floating @6-7 hours has steeper banks. I never floated the Farmlands.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Appreciate the comments. Getting the current intel from a fly shop is good advise.