Yakima River Farmlands section

Jim Allen

Steelhead
Looking to float the farmlands section of the Yakima River this coming Saturday (Irene Rinehart to Ringer Loop). Has anyone floated this area lately? Was wondering if everything is still open and no new log jams. Any info would be helpful. I also plan on calling a few of the local fly shops as well.

Thanks in advance.

Bass-O-Matic

Life of the Party
I floated it a week ago. I was surprise how much "things" were rearranged. We had to drag the boat over some sticks in one spot that usual has some wood. Much depends on flows as always. I could see how a couple other spots could be problematic in higher flows if you are not familiar with Irene to Ringer. Pull over when it doubt to do some recon.
IMG_3107.JPG

Bass-O-Matic

Life of the Party
I'd add that when in doubt hug the inside of the bends. I'm pretty sure this spot is the same as last year. As you approach this spot it looks like there is a narrow slot open on the other side. There is, but as you come out of the opening there is another tree you can see... until it's too late. We had no rearranging high water since but I'm inclined to think ice build up from the Dec cold spell moved things around a bit. KOA to Ringer always has junk and I don't recommend it if you have never done it previously or have someone who has done it along.

Jim Allen

Steelhead
Thanks for the update update. I have floated this section multiple times. I also know that it is subject to change guickly this time of year. So after a few months away I always like to check. Thanks again