Yak SM float recommendations?

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
My husband doesn't fish much, but I know he'd enjoy something a bit more fast-paced and less technical, like a smallmouth float on the lower Yak when they're in. He can (sorta) cast.
I haven't fished for them in rivers yet, and don't row myself.

Any recommendations for a guided float that way, and timing?

RichS

Life of the Party
The tricky part of the lower Yakima is that late March, April and May is when the good fishing for bigger bass takes place -if the river is not blown out which it often is. In my opinion the timing is difficult this far out. As to guides if you have a boat or pontoons or whatever all of the stretch below Horn Rapids to the mouth is an easy float and the fishing is not complex- throw junk against the bank and strip it out. That is also where the big bass up from the Columbia are. You mileage may vary, but that has been my experience. I believe Red’s run guide trip. If you are on your own I would gladly shuttle you for free.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
The tricky part of the lower Yakima is that late March, April and May is when the good fishing for bigger bass takes place -if the river is not blown out which it often is. In my opinion the timing is difficult this far out. As to guides if you have a boat or pontoons or whatever all of the stretch below Horn Rapids to the mouth is an easy float and the fishing is not complex- throw junk against the bank and strip it out. That is also where the big bass up from the Columbia are. You mileage may vary, but that has been my experience. I believe Red’s run guide trip. If you are on your own I would gladly shuttle you for free.
Thanks for the shuttle offer, but I really am looking to make this as simple as possible (he's been fly fishing maybe twice!)

I'll look into Red's, and I guess just keep an eye on flows & weather.

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the shuttle offer, but I really am looking to make this as simple as possible (he's been fly fishing maybe twice!)

I'll look into Red's, and I guess just keep an eye on flows & weather.
That early season is also when the monster sized carp are rolling all over the shallows.

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
Darn, @Northern, I wish I had a 3-person boat as I would take you guys. I have had some amazing days there (like over a hundred between 2 of us) and have had some really slow days. As stated above, timing is everything. My best days have been when pods of them were hanging out in the middle of the river. If you can hit the timing right, your husband could have a blast from an anchored drift boat.

If you ever want to float in your kayak, I’d be happy to go with you!

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Thanks @Freestone !
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm hoping for - too many for him to miss ;)

Not sure I'd take the Mirage drive on moving water, but I do have a pontoon that I haven't used in many years - that would be fun!

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
Thanks @Freestone !
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm hoping for - too many for him to miss ;)

Not sure I'd take the Mirage drive on moving water, but I do have a pontoon that I haven't used in many years - that would be fun!

The pontoon would be great and a better choice unless you can remove your Mirage system. If he was an avid fly angler, I would suggest later in the season when the big females are on their nests. There are some big gals in there and as they are eating our ESA-listed chinook smolt, I don’t feel guilty sore-mouthing them.

Replicant

Steelhead
My husband doesn't fish much, but I know he'd enjoy something a bit more fast-paced and less technical, like a smallmouth float on the lower Yak when they're in. He can (sorta) cast.
I haven't fished for them in rivers yet, and don't row myself.

Any recommendations for a guided float that way, and timing?
These are my waters, and I completely agree with the other comments, but will add what I know from my experience. Red's will do floats from the Benton City boat launch (River State Park) and pull out at Horn Rapids Park. It's roughly 11 miles. Timing is everything, but I've found that June is the most 'solid' month to fish, while May can produce some bigger, hungry fish. I've never seen a fish in April, but I'm still trying to get snowboarding in, that time of the year. The caveat being that it's not uncommon for the river to be blown out. This is obviously due to melt, but the flows can literally change on a day to day, even hourly basis, due to upper dams, the Tieton, and whatever the various irrigation districts have got going on. I check the Yakima flows on the USGS site at Kiona, even though I can just look at the river while I'm having my morning coffee. High water and high turbidity doesn't bode well, but also, spikes and drops in water temps, tend to throw the fish off, from my experience. The earliest, that I have seen fish, is Mother's day, (my daughter, 10 at the time, brought in a 20"), and the latest has been the first week of October. A DIY trip with a pontoon is great (I use a small, personal pontoon), but a kayak will get you out of slow water, faster. The challenge with a full distance float like this, is if that occasionally the wind will come out of the north, and slow you down considerably, and if it's really bad, push you back up river, making for a very long day. I recommend a sea anchor or even a five gallon bucket to keep you moving, if the wind is not favorable. Mostly, the wind comes out of the west, but best to plan your trip on a calm day. The portion of river towards Horn Rapids, can get very slow and I've found myself rowing more than fishing, which isn't so much fun. Don't hesitate to hit me up with any specifics.

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
Check these guys out => http://www.worleybuggerflyco.com/. I've not used them, but know they run spring bass trips on the lower river. Another reason a guide is a good first time trip is to measure time and distance. I live in Richland and have fished the lower river (below Horn Rapids) several times and at different flows. At 2000 cfs or above I like my single man pontoon and below that we fish it from float tubes. Summer and early fall can be a lot of fun, also. Might not have the big spawners of spring, but the number can be amazing. In summer be cognoscente of the heat and plan accordingly. Don't want to still be a couple miles from the take out when it is 110 degrees.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Wow - thank you @Replicant and @Steve Vaughn , that's a ton of great info! Definitely will make use of all that on my own and with fishing buddies.
I would not be DIYing it with my husband, though, as he's not experienced with either fishing or watercraft.
Looking for easy, but, you know...WA fishing.
It seems like this should be more of a last minute, based-on-conditions trip than a plan ahead one, so I'll probably go that route. Thanks!

Replicant

Steelhead
Wow - thank you @Replicant and @Steve Vaughn , that's a ton of great info! Definitely will make use of all that on my own and with fishing buddies.
I would not be DIYing it with my husband, though, as he's not experienced with either fishing or watercraft.
Looking for easy, but, you know...WA fishing.
It seems like this should be more of a last minute, based-on-conditions trip than a plan ahead one, so I'll probably go that route. Thanks!
I pointed out some extreme situations, but for the most part, it's a very easy going, comfortable float. I float it with my daughter and her friends, frequently. Many people just cruise down the river on their paddle boards, and when the heat is really cranking, it's common to see the inner-tube armada's come down in droves. July and August can still be excellent, you just need to watch out for the heat and smoke. Last summer, I went out on a 107 degree day, with 80 plus degree water temps, and still landed 14 fish, with a couple of big one's in the mix.

atomic dog

Steelhead
All this great input, sounds like a late spring PNWFF lower Yak float party ought to be a thing. It's been a few years since I've floated it and never tried above Horn Rapids. Have not tried it since I traded my pontoon for a kayak either.

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Like, catchable carp, or those 🤬 ones in the basin that ignore my flies but chase my kayak?
I haven't actually targeted the carp at that time of year, preferring to chase the pre-spawn bass. I think the carp are spawning at that time, so not sure how interested they'd be in eating. But there are some BIG carp in there below Horn Rapids dam.

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Would a small inflatable with a trolling motor do ok?
Depends on the time of year and which section you're on. Later in the year there have been times when I've had to get out of the kayak and pull it over rocks and bars. The river also develops some pretty substantial weed growth too. Later in the year, I can't use the pedal outdrive system in one of the kayaks as it just gets fouled with weeds. Same would probably happen to a trolling motor unless you set it up with a weed guard.