??? World record Bull Trout Oregon???

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Stud bull. I have to think there are a few places in Washington with bulls like that.
Especially lakes with good kokanee populations. One I can think of yielded a 12 lber to my buddy back in the 80’s. They have been off limits to fishing for them there for a number of years. It was caught trolling a silver spoon.
SF

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I saw a bull trout on Ross Lake that I would guess was upper teens. It was just sitting on the bottom like a toad, probably digesting all the food it ate that day. Seems like Ross would be a good place to grow a real monster.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Stud bull. I have to think there are a few places in Washington with bulls like that.
Especially lakes with good kokanee populations. One I can think of yielded a 12 lber to my buddy back in the 80’s. They have been off limits to fishing for them there for a number of years. It was caught trolling a silver spoon.
SF
Snorkeling, I have seen a couple really large bull trout in the North Sound rivers. Maybe not 25 pounders, and it’s hard for me to estimate underwater, but bigger than all the steelhead and coho in the same hole, and much bigger than I suspect generally get caught by anglers.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Snorkeling, I have seen a couple really large bull trout in the North Sound rivers. Maybe not 25 pounders, and it’s hard for me to estimate underwater, but bigger than all the steelhead and coho in the same hole, and much bigger than I suspect generally get caught by anglers.

The state record is 22 lbs. I think they can still grow that big if not bigger, given the opportunity and the lack of angling opportunities targeting them in certain bodies of water.
I think some of the best specimens also may fall victim to netting, especially on coastal rivers with good bull populations.
SF

Smalma

Life of the Party
SF -
There are indeed such fish in Washington. If I'm guessing the reservoir correctly have seen in that plus 20# class spawning in the inlet. The current Washington state record is a 35 inch 22-pound beast which came from an east side reservoir.

Matt B is correct that there are exceptional large bull trout in the north Sound rivers that are not dependent on the forage base (kokanee) found in a reservoir. Those fish are have both fluvial and anadromous life histories. And they indeed are caught at a much lower rate than one would expect given their abundance (still very rare).

Curt

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
It doesn't surprise me that one that large was caught at LBC ... the Spring is when you can catch some very large Bull Trout with fly gear and streamers at the reservoir.