Why?

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Hunting for grouse the last two years has been a bust. I don’t remember seeing one last year and only two so far this year. In past years I could get a couple or even limit for the day. Granted, grouse are cyclical on about a ten year rise and fall. Weather plays a big part in infant mortality along with a bunch of predators. The environment around the ranch has changed drastically, Mt. Hull has gone through a timber sale masked as a “restoration” project. Most of my favorite coverts have been dozed over and roosting trees fallen. The landscape is littered with slash piles. It’s not the forest I used to hunt by a long shot. There are some areas that are still untouched and those will be my go to spots.
I was introduced to grouse by the Enoch brothers, workmates at Boeing 35 years ago. We hunted the are east of Wauconda and south of Hwy 20 around Mt Annie. We would camp in a meadow and walk the old logging spurs looking for birds, and there were a lot of them back then. When we bought the ranch property I found birds around there. So the days of sleeping on the ground and cooking on the Coleman morphed into a turnkey house and shop. On the four wheeler I could run up the hill open the gate to DNR land and hunt to my hearts content. Harvest rates were decent with a few stellar hunts. But it has really tapered off. There little game that tastes as nice as grouse, simple or spiced up in curry. Good clean, lean protein. The fun of the hunt, the game, the food was a driver for many years. But that has changed.
So why do I keep hunting? I’ve had to ask myself that question this last trip to the ranch. It turns out I simply like the hunt. Why else would I walk over four or five miles carrying a shotgun?

3785A312-1E70-4CF3-AA4B-9DC8F7EB5E8A.jpeg6CE3FA7E-3E5A-4D1B-88F8-CEDB5C10E743.jpeg

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Theres a lot worse things you could be doing with your time!
There is a ton of grouse just a short drive from you, or was, am afraid of what going to happen with the fire in the upper valley!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Just when I was having thoughts of picking up grouse hunting again in the next season or two.... Of course this would be the case.

DKL

Steelhead
I can relate to the end of your story at least. I’m relatively new to hunting, and my experiences so far have me wishing I’d have started years ago. Having only been doing this for a few seasons, I don’t have a lot of success. But I love it. I love being out there and interacting, hearing and seeing things I wouldn’t ordinarily experience. I feel like if I never pull the trigger or pull back on the bow it doesn’t really matter, I’m really enjoying myself. Of course, it’s fantastic when I do get to harvest something, but it sure isn’t necessary.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
So why do I keep hunting? I’ve had to ask myself that question this last trip to the ranch. It turns out I simply like the hunt. Why else would I walk over four or five miles carrying a shotgun?
Prior to Hank & I retiring from chasing (read: "searching for") wild Pheasants, my reason was primarily to watch my dog work, augmented by enjoying the outdoors.

Last edited:

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
There are a TON of things I “used” to do. Hunting is the only thing I was doing 30 years ago that I’m still doing now. It’s likely to be the only thing I will never give up…it will have to be taken from me.

Chadk

Life of the Party
Hunting has surpassed my love for fishing. I mean, I LOVE fishing. But hunting excites me more. I think about it year round. I think about it when I'm fishing.

Fishing is more relaxing for me typically. At night when going to bed, I often fall asleep thinking about those warm afternoons with sun on my shoulders and graceful casts to rising trout while standing on small boulders in a gently flowing small river.

It may be because I fish year round and have done it my whole life... But hunting is pretty much October - November for me. Hunting also tends to have a higher work vs reward ratio. Kinda like catching that first steelhead. Put in work, in the field, homework at home, preparing yourself and your gear. Fine tuning. Always learning. And then getting my kids excited to do it with me.

Heading out with the kids in a week. Stoked!

Last edited:

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Hunting has surpassed my love for fishing. I mean, I LOVE fishing. But hunting excites me more. I think about it year round. I think about it when I'm fishing.

Fishing is more relaxing for me typically. At night when going to bed, I often fall asleep thinking about those warm afternoons with sun on my shoulders and graceful casts to rising trout while standing on small boulders in a gently flowing small river.

It may be because I fish year round and have done it my whole life... But hunting is pretty much October - November for me. Hunting also tends to have a higher work vs reward ratio. Kinda like catching that first steelhead. Put in work, in the field, homework at home, preparing yourself and your gear. Fine tuning. Always learning. And then getting my kids excited to do it with me.

Heading out with the kids in a week. Stoked!
Yep…the stakes are much higher!

Uptonogood

PNW raised
Grouse hunting has always been my idea of a gentleman’s sport. Walking through thickets with a 20 gauge double behind a good pointer was just the best. Shots at birds were usually quick given the cover. The “old Washington” ruffed grouse areas on both sides of the Cascades were real treasures , ignored by pheasant hunters and those insane chukar chasers. Sorry for your loss, bud, hoping you find a replacement area.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Armed hikes chasing wild birds are good for your soul. Nowadays, there's not much chance of a wild bird on public land. And since my hunting partners have departed, it's pretty pointless to go alone.

But Dugan likes to go, and as my shells approach being welcome at antique shows, I don't mind donning the orange and chasing him around a coulee or two for pheasants or huns, or a timbered draw after the lovely grouse. Too bad the small water is gone, he'd love a duck.... Perhaps a couple more years.

Adrian M

Steelhead
I swear I see someone who looks just like walking around Mukilteo with his wife and/or dog. Is that you?

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I swear I see someone who looks just like walking around Mukilteo with his wife and/or dog. Is that you?
If the dog is a brown standard poodle, then that’s us.

Adrian M

Steelhead
If the dog is a brown standard poodle, then that’s us.
HA! My wife said nah, that's not him. I'll say hi next time I see you. I remember you offered to meet up when I first joined the other forum and I was just getting into fly fishing. I had young kids and couldn't really get out much, but I highly appreciated the offer.