Where to put the 2nd anchor on my pram/DB? Advice needed

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So, I bought another used boat...a 12 Santiam Drifter. It's got kind of an unusual layout. The stern has a small stand-up brace and an open "tub" across the back. See pics below:

Here's the pointy bow with a standard anchor system. You can see the brace across the stern.

PXL_20240505_164941715.jpg

Here's the stern as modified by the previous owner:

PXL_20240505_165053019.jpg

At first, it seems the logical place to put a stern anchor is right here by the odd aluminum bracket. Opposite corner from the motor and it's reinforced for mounting.

Problem is... I want to keep that corner of the interior free from entanglements and have it serve as a built in stripping basket.

Here's the inside back corner. It would be an awfully nice place to lay line.

PXL_20240505_165207456.jpg

I could squeeze an anchor release in next to motor. Hmmm? Any suggestions?

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Lots of room back there to place a cam cleat for an anchor line.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
what you could do is mount something on that corner, and pile the excess rope in the tub. Then, lay something like a towel over the top of it to reduce tangles. I've made a stripping mat for a similar application by cutting a piece of thin indoor/outdoor carpet to fit, and then poking a bunch of zip ties out the top to reduce tangles.

IMG_2030.jpeg

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
what you could do is mount something on that corner, and pile the excess rope in the tub. Then, lay something like a towel over the top of it to reduce tangles. I've made a stripping mat for a similar application by cutting a piece of thin indoor/outdoor carpet to fit, and then poking a bunch of zip ties out the top to reduce tangles.

View attachment 113207

Good MacGyver...This would really help thanks. I don't think I want to keep moving it on and off the piled rope though.

Just for discussion: if you mounted a nose anchor right there, the rope would be in the way

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Good MacGyver...This would really help thanks. I don't think I want to keep moving it on and off the piled rope though.

Just for discussion: if you mounted a nose anchor right there, the rope would be in the way
Or, you can pile the extra rope under the casting deck. And when you’re anchored, there will be less extra rope anyway.

I can overthink this stuff, but sometimes I have to just try stuff and see if it works.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
Leave the anchor and use a flexistripper?

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Leave the anchor and use a flexistripper?
OK, got one already. I'll consider that.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Anchor rope to the right, stripping basket to the left.