Whats your favorite DIY or store bought float tube fly rod holder

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
Tired of my jerry rigged fly rod holder on the float tube. Looking at trying something else. Any suggestions appreciated..

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
although I also sometimes use the standard Scotty fly rod holder mount (off the tri-mount along with the fish finder on it) but just tucking it to the side of the seat is what I almost always do. It's only a danger if I flip which I'll have far bigger problems to deal with.

Divad

Whitefish
I also tuck my rod(s) on my offhand casting side to prevent tangles with the tip in the back.

@clarkman I got this contraption off AliExpress that does both in one for $28. It’s not the correct base holes even though it was advertised “Scotty” but you can get two screws. Need rig up a new adapter plate. It’s far worth it I think for the angle variability it gives and brings it up a little higher closer to your eyes.

60A4531E-4CEB-43E8-9BAC-F7F4BE64B722.jpeg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
That’s what I’m using. Are you securing them or are they loose
I got 3 pack of Yak strap paddle leashes to use last year. One for the net, and two for the rods I'm not using. Usually I only brought one, tucked the reel in the right hand mesh pocket, then had the tip sticking out to my left, kinda against the valve in my fishcat. With two, one usually sat damp on the bottom.
Just my first long year using the system, it works, but I saw others. One gear guy at the lake has a milk carton with rod holder tubes attached. Looked handy, but the rods stick straight up.

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have made and used this "diy" pvc rod holder for years. I just change the strap link depending on water craft. I have made single and doubles for my Fishcat.

1" pvc, measure the width of your reel seat and Dremel out the spot for reel to slide down inside the pocket.

20230409_140204.jpg
received_245861631156051~2.jpeg

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've seen those but my thought is with the rod sticking up I might catch it with my fly rod or fly line.... Any issue with that?
Only on those days where the "W" is blowing in "swirls" otherwise very very rarely. I did try and make use a double holder with several "T's" that allowed the rod holder to be at about a 45° angle. Then I just went back to the vertical.

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
The Outcast float tubes dont give you the option of using any strap type rod mount holders because you can't pass the strap over the tube because the seat and back platform is all stitched to the side...

image.jpeg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
The Outcast float tubes dont give you the option of using any strap type rod mount holders because you can't pass the strap over the tube because the seat and back platform is all stitched to the side...

View attachment 61080
That's why I just tuck them pointing backwards right next to the seat. Then again, I never take more than 2 in my float tube. Rarely even in my Commander. Honestly, I'd rather have them inside my tube that way than strapped outside of my tube.

I cut up a milk crate such that I could strap them to it pointing back at an angle back when I had a kayak but that would be far too big and bulky now.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'm thinking along with you now as I think about other away lake adventures and maybe electronics some day. The issue for me is always what do I want to deal with, and or what could I possibly carry?
This looks tricked out. @Shawn Seeger 's idea taken further? Looks to use the outside D rings, not straps. I net off to the left and am sure I would hit that stuff with my elbow. I cast on my right side so no go there.
fb94dd727ceb04bb759604c0131ad25a.jpg

I did notice last year that the more vertically I stored them the more the wind could push or turn me. Not a lot, but some, enough I liked laying them flatter. The reservoir has a lot of wind most days so don't want them in the way for casting either.
Just adding to the conversation I guess, and trying to learn new ideas.

Last edited:

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
That's why I just tuck them pointing backwards right next to the seat. Then again, I never take more than 2 in my float tube. Rarely even in my Commander. Honestly, I'd rather have them inside my tube that way than strapped outside of my tube.

I cut up a milk crate such that I could strap them to it pointing back at an angle back when I had a kayak but that would be far too big and bulky now.
I wish the float tubes had the glued attachment Scotty mounts like you have on the Commander

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I shared this alternative with Brian but other might be interested. Cabela's sells an inexpensive Ground Spike Rod Holder that can be easily modified to provide an inexpensive float tube rod holder.

I unbolted the plastic rod holder portion from aluminum spike and added a notch for a fly rod with a box cutter and a file. I bolted the modified rod holder to length of plastic I had around and hung the plastic from the float tube d-ring with zip ties. You can just make out the head of the bolt in the picture below. I can loosen the bolt with a screw driver and change the angle of the holder. There's no reason you couldn't have one of these facing forward on your casting side and a second one facing backward on the opposite side. Or you could have two holders on the same side. These are inexpensive enough to experiment with.

Ken

2f2 Rod Holder 1b Ken 2 20210614.jpg