What's in your quiver?

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Over the past few years, I've become obsessed with photography. It started off with a D500 and a kit lens but didn't take long to realize there was a lot more fun to this game. So I've been building. Here's my quiver:

D500
14-24 2.8
24-70 2.8
70-200 2.8
200-500 5.6
Micro 2.8
18-200 3.5-5.6 (might even sell this)

I'm content with my gear but just for fun I was thinking of saving up and adding a D850 for full frame. Also having a back-up or second body seems like a good idea.

FullSizeRender(22).jpg

What ya got?

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
2 x Sony Alpha 77II (one fell in the drink, Sony replaced at a very good price, the one that fell in decided to start working again).
Wanting to get a Alpha 99II (also wanting full frame)
16 to 50mm
300 mm
G 70 to 400 mm

1644703371321.jpeg

Mounted on the Ioptron Skyguider Pro

1644704112230.jpeg

Zenithstar 81 Refractor

1644704659633.jpeg

Since upgraded the tripod and tracking mount for this setup with an Ioptron CEM 26 autoguider and a 1.75" LiteRoc Tripod (no pics of that setup yet, maybe tonight).

Also wanting to switch to a dedicated cooled CMOS camera (scared I'm going to fry my sensor with the many dozen sequential 3 to 5 minute exposures)

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 2.28.25 PM.png

Cheers

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I'm a Sony mirrorless guy.

Currently using two bodies:

Sony A6400
Sony A6500

Both are great. The A6500 has IBIS so I tend to use that more with my longer lense.

Lenses:

Sony 10-18mm F/4. Fantastic landscape/fishing action pics lense

Sigma 16mm F/1.4 Amazing fish pic lense. It's super wide but it's working range is so close that I can get right up close and get great fish pics

Sony 16-55mm F/2.8 This is an every day lense. Almost always have this one on one of the bodies

Sigma 30mm F/1.4 Another great fish pic lense. Especially on the ocean where I have enough room on the boat to get far enough away from the subject. (My bodies are APS-C so there is a 1.5 crop factor making this lense 45 mm)

Sony 18-105mm F/4. Great all around lense. I bought it mostly for video. Don't use it as much as I could, but it's a great lense.

Sony 70-350mm F/4.5-6.3. This lense is often on my second body at any given time. With the crop factor will really reach out. I really enjoy thus lense. I use it a lot on the ocean for taking shots of other boats, whales, birds etc.

I also have 2 Macro Lenses.

Samyang 100mm F/2.8 This lense is a lot of fun, but there's definitely a learning curve for true macro stuff. It's a fun lense

Sony 30 mm F/3.5 I mostly use this for fly tying videos.

I think I have a couple kit lenses around as well, and may be forgetting a lense or two that I haven't used in quite a while.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
No more gear nerds?

How is that even possible?
JSDFwlvf_o.gif
I was a lot more of a gear nerd a few years back when I was working as a pro shooter and then later when I was working for the industry. I was nikon in the film days, but since then it's been Canon full frame for me. I've mostly just been shooting with some high end Olympus m4/3 gear from a generation or two ago. And to be honest, 90% of my shooting is done via my phone these days. I know, I know. But the quality has improved enough that it's hard not to use it for so many things when it's in your pocket all day long.

That said, I've been thinking of stepping up to a Canon mirrorless full frame. I miss the images that a full frame camera makes.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
N90s that belonged to Carl Skoog. This one will stay with me forever.
D500
Sigma 10-20 doesn't get much use.
Nikkor 18-200 v2 gets the most use and has the most published photos, probably because it's the most versatile. This is the one that's attached to the body and lives in the backpack all winter long.
Nikkor 70-200 2.8 v2 the "small boat photo-ID under permit" workhorse left over from my D200 days but should probably be replaced by the f4 version because with higher ISO performance, the extra stop isn't worth the extra weight anymore.
Nikkor 200-500 is my "whales and birds from the big ship" lens.

Lots of my Nikon pro buddies are selling all of their dSLR bodies and glass and are all in on the Z9 and Z7ii. I may not be far behind.

Last edited:

creekx

not crate trained
Won't list old Nikon gear from my 35mm film days. The screw focus lenses worked on my first 2 digital bodies, but now that I've gone mirrorless they are all just collecting dust.

Oly EM-5 Mark II (my first foray into mirrorless) Have several lenses, but these are the best:
9-18mm f/4-5.6
12-40mm f/2.8
56mm f/1.4
60mm f/2.8 macro

Nikon Z5 (needed full frame mirrorless too)
Z 14-30mm f/4
Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3
150-600mm f/5-6.3 w/ FTZ adapter
90mm f/2.8 macro

When fishing I carry the Z5 with two Z lenses in my sling. Getting high quality, full frame images from a small-ish body is game changing.

creekx

not crate trained
Just when I've grown comfortable with my gear, you guys are throwing this mirrorless stuff at me.
AHrY34WL_o.gif
Photography is like fly fishing. There will always be a surplus of opportunities to empty your bank account.

There are many advantages to mirrorless. My top 3:

1.(a) WYSIWYG in the view finder.
1.(b) You can review your photos in the viewfinder. Huge for anyone that needs readers. Reviewing photos on an LCD screen, often in bright sunlight, is folly.
2. Smaller form factor. My full frame Z5 is smaller and lighter than my other two APS-C Nikon DSLR's. Big deal if you are hiking, fishing, etc.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
1.(b) You can review your photos in the viewfinder. Huge for anyone that needs readers. Reviewing photos on an LCD screen, often in bright sunlight, is folly.
While I don't disagree about reviewing in the sun, I can't say I love reviewing them in the finder. That said, The z5 has a significantly higher resolution VF than anything I've used regularly. So perhaps I'd feel differently if I owned a newer mirrorless camera?

creekx

not crate trained
While I don't disagree about reviewing in the sun, I can't say I love reviewing them in the finder. That said, The z5 has a significantly higher resolution VF than anything I've used regularly. So perhaps I'd feel differently if I owned a newer mirrorless camera?
See, more opportunities - just like you always 'need' a new fly rod. ;)

The viewfinders aren't perfect, but there's no better alternative for a quick review of exposure, focus, composition, etc. Especially for someone who needs readers to see anything close-up.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
See, more opportunities - just like you always 'need' a new fly rod. ;)

The viewfinders aren't perfect, but there's no better alternative for a quick review of exposure, focus, composition, etc. Especially for someone who needs readers to see anything close-up.

Sony Alpha's you can review in the viewfinder - that said, would still like to move to mirrorless, Sony mirrorless I could still use my G lenses; however, major outlays with my astrophotography (stay tuned for latest upgrades over in the Stuff in the Sky thread - probably tomorrow) may put this off a while.

Cheers

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
The collection in my house is mainly built around my wife’s wildlife photography hobby.

Nikon
D500
D750
D850
Various older bodies

Cannon EOS R5 (mirrorless)

Most used lenses
Nikon 500 mm 5.6
Nikon 200-500 mm 5.6
Nikon 24-120mm 4
Nikon 50 mm 2.4

Cannon 800 mm 11
Cannon 100-500 mm 5.6

We just started playing around with mirrorless. That Cannon 800 mm lenses is an interesting one. Super cheap compared with anything that big. At f11 the applications are limited based on conditions. When they are good though, the quality is solid.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Just got my first proper camera.

Olympus E-M10 MKIIIS
Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6
Olympus 60mm f/2.8 Macro
Sigma 30mm f/1.4

Learning how it all works has been a lot of fun. Macro is way more complicated than I expected, though.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Just got my first proper camera.

Olympus E-M10 MKIIIS
Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6
Olympus 60mm f/2.8 Macro
Sigma 30mm f/1.4

Learning how it all works has been a lot of fun. Macro is way more complicated than I expected, though.
Getting a digital camera in preparation for the kid?
That was my move as well, sold all my film cameras and bought digital.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Getting a digital camera in preparation for the kid?
That was my move as well, sold all my film cameras and bought digital.

Yep! It seemed like a good investment.

If a few fly tying photos are taken along the way, that's a bonus. 😇

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yep! It seemed like a good investment.

If a few fly tying photos are taken along the way, that's a bonus. 😇

The only advice I can give you is, dump your cards often, otherwise the longer you wait, the less you'll want to upload and edit.
Also, figure out your organization and workflow asap. Lightroom is great, I hate retouching photos (thats why I loved film, I didnt feel the need to). So I just set some color presets on import and call it a day,

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Well I used to run a Nikon D610 and a few prime lenses. I just couldn't find the time to do it anymore, and was tired of being asked to do work for free. I occasionally borrow my friend's D810 to do some stuff nowadays.