What is it? Opinions welcome

BigBabba

Just Hatched
Hey all- I’ve been on my steelhead journey and still haven’t caught a fish on the swing, although getting out as much as I can and putting in the time

I fished most of the day today with my 2 hander but didn’t so much as have a tap. I ran into a couple nice guys who had lost a fish who suggested I fish a couple buckets across the river. I swung through the buckets first, but then switched to my single hand rod with a nymph rig. Bobber went down and I landed this fish. My first thought was “finally! A steelhead!” But after looking it over I guess I’m thinking this might be a resident trout?

Looks like it had a bit of a kype jaw, and faught well but it wasn’t peeling line or anything. It’s sort of small which had me thinking perhaps it was a one year fish. Or just a trout. Would love opinions! IMG_4606.jpeg

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hey all- I’ve been on my steelhead journey and still haven’t caught a fish on the swing, although getting out as much as I can and putting in the time

I fished most of the day today with my 2 hander but didn’t so much as have a tap. I ran into a couple nice guys who had lost a fish who suggested I fish a couple buckets across the river. I swung through the buckets first, but then switched to my single hand rod with a nymph rig. Bobber went down and I landed this fish. My first thought was “finally! A steelhead!” But after looking it over I guess I’m thinking this might be a resident trout?

Looks like it had a bit of a kype jaw, and faught well but it wasn’t peeling line or anything. It’s sort of small which had me thinking perhaps it was a one year fish. Or just a trout. Would love opinions! View attachment 107945
Fairly colored-up, lots of spots on the back. My money’s on it being O. Mykiss.

Nice fish!