SFR What a way to run a business...

Sorta fishing-related

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
For my recent birthday my lovely daughter gave me a $50 gift certificate at Feather-Craft and my wife a $50 gift certificate at Sportsman's Warehouse (SW). Since I had a list of ~$150 of fly tying material I wanted to get I decided to use both gift certificates toward it. Well, it appears that SW fills orders from their stores nationwide where the product is in stock. I've received 4 packages so far, all from different locations. Yesterday one box came with a huge amount of paper and a single dubbing spinner and another with three packages of fly foam and two packs of zonker strips. Today an envelope with a single zonker strip and a box with a bobbin threader and head cement applicator bottle. There are still a number of items to come. Good business for UPS, I guess. You would think a company with warehouse in its name might ship a single package from said warehouse.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah, split shipments are to be avoided if possible. I'd guess that a company as big as SW has the data to keep materials where they are most in demand.

I know when we send some of our products to an amazon warehouse it runs some of algorithm that matches the product to the market and tells us where each SKU should be sent to.

Divad

Whitefish
As someone that works for Amazon there are many decisions behind inventory allocation/availability. Not knowing Sportsman I wouldn’t be half surprised if this is a tops down purchasing strategy, most likely brought in in the last decade to fight the selection war.

The cardboard can make for excellent fire starters shredded and waxed into pucks. Or cut up to make car jumps for hot wheels and toy monster trucks 😁

Shad

Life of the Party
While I would be annoyed upon finding the first package was missing stuff, I would be appreciative of that business model after everything arrived. Especially in today's supply-starved market, I'll take what I can get piecemeal over waiting for them to get all the products to me in a single package, who knows how much later.

Does seem kind of "expensive" for the shipper....

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
As a "business model" the shipping charges are worked into pricing.

Convenience and lazy are played out on both sides of the field.