Wetside Carpin Qs

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Does anyone successfully target carp West of the Cascades with a fly? I'd love to hear about it. There are a handful of places I can think of where it can be done, maybe.

My closest encounter was at Lk Sammamish, I had one hit a leach and follow it in but didn't connect. The sucker must have been 10#. In hindsight, it would have ruined my 5wt. They were in spawning mode and a cruiser couldn't resist taking a swipe. I did have some shakes after that though, I guess I have never fully recovered. I've also seen them deep in the weeds rooting around. Getting a fly to them would have been a nightmare.

Should I just take the drive out east and do it right or is it possible on this side of the state!?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Does anyone successfully target carp West of the Cascades with a fly? I'd love to hear about it. There are a handful of places I can think of where it can be done, maybe.

My closest encounter was at Lk Sammamish, I had one hit a leach and follow it in but didn't connect. The sucker must have been 10#. In hindsight, it would have ruined my 5wt. They were in spawning mode and a cruiser couldn't resist taking a swipe. I did have some shakes after that though, I guess I have never fully recovered. I've also seen them deep in the weeds rooting around. Getting a fly to them would have been a nightmare.

Should I just take the drive out east and do it right or is it possible on this side of the state!?
It’s done on Green Lake.

Then again, what isn’t?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’ve seen people targeting carp at the north end of Lake WA at Log Boom park.
As @Matt B said, so does Green Lake. I saw a guy fishing gear with a big dead carp on the bank while walking around the lake last weekend.
SF

Divad

Whitefish
Come Sept/Oct there is a ditch that I sight fish them in, it’s a long way from Virgo Supercluster though. Big ol armadillos, they take tungsten crawdad patterns w/o question tight lined into their face. A 6/7wt 10’ is my goto. Admittedly I’ve used a 4wt before and it sucked because I like to target the panfish and few trout with it. The creek holds carp in more months in other sections but the shallow water is what I’ve learned.

In the past a king or two would push past the barrier in fall but they beefed up the slats from what I was told.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin

My cousin gets em on Sammamish. Takes a boat to get to the good spots, though.

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Come Sept/Oct there is a ditch that I sight fish them in, it’s a long way from Virgo Supercluster though. Big ol armadillos, they take tungsten crawdad patterns w/o question tight lined into their face. A 6/7wt 10’ is my goto. Admittedly I’ve used a 4wt before and it sucked because I like to target the panfish and few trout with it. The creek holds carp in more months in other sections but the shallow water is what I’ve learned.

In the past a king or two would push past the barrier in fall but they beefed up the slats from what I was told.
That sounds like my JAM! Do you stalk them with a kayak or something or on foot?

My cousin gets em on Sammamish. Takes a boat to get to the good spots, though.
I have something that will float! Does he use fly gear?

Divad

Whitefish
That sounds like my JAM! Do you stalk them with a kayak or something or on foot?

The shallow area is walkable only but above it the slough like water is tubeable or kayak worthy, it is almost current-less. I have pictures of the water and carp from the above banks somewhere on an iCloud I’ll try to find.

Not sure why they like the shallower water end of summer/fall.

Edit: it is a 1/4mi walk to water, then another 1/4 to 1/2 mi up (private p).

Last edited:

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Following this thread!

On all waters where I've found carp, on both sides of the state, when they see my kayak they turn and head towards me. On Sammamish I've had schools of a dozen or more follow below me swimming in a tight circle! I've never gotten them to eat anything, tho. I mean, obviously they know I'm there.

Please tell me this is not me-specific! It kinda wiggs me out

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin

I have something that will float! Does he use fly gear?
Yeah he does it on fly from his bass boat. I honestly don't know where on the lake. That might take some exploration.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Following this thread!

On all waters where I've found carp, on both sides of the state, when they see my kayak they turn and head towards me. On Sammamish I've had schools of a dozen or more follow below me swimming in a tight circle! I've never gotten them to eat anything, tho. I mean, obviously they know I'm there.

Please tell me this is not me-specific! It kinda wiggs me out
Never had that happen😁

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I've never gotten them to eat anything, tho. I mean, obviously they know I'm there.
CronFly__16623.1267935417.jpg