Westside lakes waking up?

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
I’ve got a rare afternoon window tomorrow, so I’m thinking I’ll try a south of Tacoma lake with lots of types of spiny rays available. Will post here if anything worth sharing happens.

Anyone out there have some success this weekend with the warm-ish snap?

BriGuy

Life of the Party
I’ve got a rare afternoon window tomorrow, so I’m thinking I’ll try a south of Tacoma lake with lots of types of spiny rays available. Will post here if anything worth sharing happens.

Anyone out there have some success this weekend with the warm-ish snap?

No luck yesterday on a south Sound C&R lake. I gave up on trout to try a few known crappie and bluegill holes. They don't seem to be awake yet. Some risers later in the afternoon. A couple of swats on a dry fly, but I had to leave to meet some arriving guests.

NRC

Forum Supporter
No luck yesterday on a south Sound C&R lake. I gave up on trout to try a few known crappie and bluegill holes. They don't seem to be awake yet. Some risers later in the afternoon. A couple of swats on a dry fly, but I had to leave to meet some arriving guests.
Thanks for the intel! My toddler just diarrhead all over the place, so my tomorrow afternoon probably got canceled anyway. That makes me feel better…

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Thanks for the intel! My toddler just diarrhead all over the place, so my tomorrow afternoon probably got canceled anyway. That makes me feel better…

I remember those days. The little ones usually always get to set the agenda.

I may try again tomorrow. If things are different I'll let you know.

NRC

Forum Supporter
I remember those days. The little ones usually always get to set the agenda.

I may try again tomorrow. If things are different I'll let you know.
I did end up getting out there. Threw bassy stuff at the shoreline all over the sunny/shallow northern end. Dragged an emerger around where some stockers were splashing. Trolled buggers, trolled an olive willy. Even soaked a chironimid under an indicator for as long as my internet addled attention span would allow. Got 100% blanked, not even a bite.

Fish finder put the water temp at 53.5 F. Still too chilly for the rays? Course that doesn’t explain the stockers ignoring me.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I did end up getting out there. Threw bassy stuff at the shoreline all over the sunny/shallow northern end. Dragged an emerger around where some stockers were splashing. Trolled buggers, trolled an olive willy. Even soaked a chironimid under an indicator for as long as my internet addled attention span would allow. Got 100% blanked, not even a bite.

Fish finder put the water temp at 53.5 F. Still too chilly for the rays? Course that doesn’t explain the stockers ignoring me.
I got skunked also yesterday. A lot of hatches but no sign of any fish. Tried everything. A kid floating by had one using a crawler.

Reactions: NRC

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
It's not just you guys - even recently stocked lakes have been unusually slow for me, also. No sign of bass yet, either.
Might have to try the salt for a bit, as it seems fry are starting to show sporadically

BriGuy

Life of the Party
I did not get out yesterday. I let a variety of little projects get in my way.

It doesn't sound like I missed much. Like @Northern, I'll probably focus on the salt for a while. Besides, getting skunked on the sound is usually a nicer experience...

NRC

Forum Supporter
Yep, I’m with you two. I spend about 90% of my fishing time on Puget Sound, and every time I get skunked bobbing around a lake I’m reminded of why. The few times it’s been red hot for me on a lake keep me coming back, though.

Divad

Whitefish
Floated around the other day for 3hrs with others and nothing, my dog was annoyed. Then tried for crappie in the usual spots and nada. Afterwards I decided I’ll walk the pups and cast a little off the bank and I catch one in my first few casts…🤦‍♂️

778DB641-C606-4D43-8799-68FBB586391E.jpeg

Maybe barometric changes are effecting the fish? To answer your question, no they do not seem to be waking up yet 😁 SRC fishing has its advantages for sure, I don’t mind the skunk nearly as bad.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I did not get out yesterday. I let a variety of little projects get in my way.

It doesn't sound like I missed much. Like @Northern, I'll probably focus on the salt for a while. Besides, getting skunked on the sound is usually a nicer experience...

One advantage for me to beach versus lake fishing is the simplicity and how little gear you need to pack to do so. I can be ready in about 10 minutes to go beach fishing.
SF

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
One advantage for me to RIVER versus lake fishing is the simplicity and how little gear you need to pack to do so. I can be ready in a few minutes to go the crick.
I've noticed something similar the last couple outings.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Well, it looks like somebody is having some luck.

Way to go, steve!

Tuna Ball

Steelhead
Well, not on flies for me but the bass are starting to wake up. Took one of my daughters out Tuesday for a few hours before the wind kicked up. Landed six between us, all on jerk baits. I watched three of them hit which was pretty awesome. One of them tail slapped the boat as he hit right below me. Water temp 52-53deg

IMG_20240417_084800928_HDR.jpg