Westport tuna 9/21/22

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
After getting cancelled last month, our rescheduled date came around and we headed up to Westport. It was me, along with Andy and Patrick from Bend and one of our PNWFF members. All first timers for tuna, except me with three whole trips under my belt. Over the prior month, we engaged in all of the pre-trip banter, tying flies, comparing antiseasickness strategies, and obsessively checking forecasts.

The day before the trip, and the bad news started to trickle in. Unfortunately, our fourth came down with something the night before, which was a drag because I was looking forward to meeting and fishing with him. Then, we found out that our local guide and friend, who was going to ride along, was also under the weather. Which was also a drag, because I was looking forward to fishing with him too.

Alarms go off at 430, breakfast and coffee consumed, and we’re off to the docks. To wait until the CG opened the bar. But we got to spend the time getting to know Chance and Jake, who would be in charge of our trip. We finally get the all clear and head over the bar.
IMG_0698.jpeg

We were forecasted to have 10-12 kt winds and 5-7 ft swells, both to calm during the day. We also had fog for half the run out, all of which took a toll on my seasickness strategy of scopolamine and staring at the horizon. After bashing our way out, and breaking into clear skies, we started fishing.

Andy had the hot rod for the trip, but was also the first to fall to the mal de mer, despite ginger and wrist bands. Shortly after which, he got us on the board. The fish this year were big and strong, and after landing his first, Andy sat down muttering something about needing a break. So of course his rod goes off again, and an even bigger albacore comes in over the rail. I was getting ready to troll again, when an unfortunate roll and turn had me chumming as well.

At that point, I had changed flies to a @clarkman special…
71687195880__C3361744-807B-4C27-9098-FAC2FEF9A294.jpeg
… and Chance drives us through a bunch of birds and jumpers, delivering the first triple of the day. We call in a couple other ARSC boats for a full bait stop. It was wild to see fish snatching bait right next to the boat. I tried my popper rod for a bit, but had a hard time getting a good angle from my corner of the deck. I thought about going up front, but between my stomach and the swell, it was too dicey for me.

Eventually the bite died down, and it was time to head in. 10 good sized fish for Jake to loin on the run in. IMG_0700.jpeg
Saw a lot of birds out there, including murres, shearwaters, petrels, pelicans, and a few albatrosses. Not much in the way of other marine life, but that may have been a function of my staring at the horizon.

I’ll admit, this was the first tuna trip where I wasn’t wishing I had my own tuna capable boat on the drive home. However, as me and the yellow jackets were trimming and bagging the haul, I was starting to think about next summer.

Attachments

• IMG_0706.jpeg
    IMG_0706.jpeg
    598.1 KB · Views: 6

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Excellent. Did y’all get any fish on the stop(s), or all troll fish?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Nice report Phil....but ....

A. I can't believe you tied that monstrosity on out there! 😆

B. I can't believe you had that thing in your box!

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Excellent. Did y’all get any fish on the stop(s), or all troll fish?

About half and half. Troll strikes are awesome, stripped strikes are even better!

Nice report Phil....but ....

A. I can't believe you tied that monstrosity on out there! 😆

B. I can't believe you had that thing in your box!
Since I didn’t have Sammy Seahawk, I had to improvise. Chance said “that’s quite a medley of colors in that fly”

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
About half and half. Troll strikes are awesome, stripped strikes are even better!

Since I didn’t have Sammy Seahawk, I had to improvise. Chance said “that’s quite a medley of colors in that fly”
Yeah, as much as I feel like I should HATE trolling, the grabs while holding the rod are nothing short of electric. Someone else getting hit first is even better because the chances of you getting hit in the next second or two is very high. Not to mention the anticipation of stripping in on the slide.

CanoeGuy

Steelhead
Patrick here. Thanks to Phil organizing the trip and taking a great grip and grin for me!

Many more pics here:

Tuna19.jpg

Impressions from a first timer:

If you are on the fence about doing this trip, you have to do it at least once. Life is short and this is an unforgettable experience!

I can't believe I didn't get hit on the troll all day! I started with a white squid fly - not the right move yesterday or my fly just sucked. I got a refusal at the boat while stripping in on Andy's first hookup. After Phil and Andy hooked up on the troll in the jumpers (I think these were the 4th and 5th hookups for those guys - we lost two - without me getting touched), I reeled up and switched to a small weighted Seahawk fly. I made several short casts/retrieves near the surface hoping to see a take. No luck so I stripped off a bit more line and let it sink a bit. 2 or 3 strips and I joined the boys for the triple Phil mentioned above.
3. Don't give up on a stop. My second hookup came maybe 15 minutes after the last bit of action on a long stop. I made a longish cast, added more line with a bunch of stack mends and let it sink. When I yelled "I am on" after 5 or 6 strips, Chance commented "No way."
4. This is chaos. If I lived closer, I would definitely do it again just to be more relaxed about it and be in a better position to take it all in. I regret not taking the time to hold and admire a live fish, but all you want to do in the moment is get your fly back in the water. Not to mention wanting to avoid the blood shower. When I was hooked up and fish were jumping around the boat, I wish I had watched the show more. I was so focused on fighting my fish, I missed some bait getting smashed 20 feet in front of me.

The boys:

Tuna15.jpg

The fish:

Tuna16.jpg

Tuna14.jpg

Stopped in Woodland on the way home to fill out my quiver for a trip to Christmas Island in January. Need to come up with a unique way to baptize it before the trip. Any suggestions?

Edge1.jpgEdge2.jpgEdge3.jpg

Bagman

Steelhead
Patrick here. Thanks to Phil organizing the trip and taking a great grip and grin for me!

Many more pics here:

View attachment 83201

If you are on the fence about doing this trip, you have to do it at least once. Life is short and this is an unforgettable experience!

I can't believe I didn't get hit on the troll all day! I started with a white squid fly - not the right move yesterday or my fly just sucked. I got a refusal at the boat while stripping in on Andy's first hookup. After Phil and Andy hooked up on the troll in the jumpers (I think these were the 4th and 5th hookups for those guys - we lost two - without me getting touched), I reeled up and switched to a small weighted Seahawk fly. I made several short casts/retrieves near the surface hoping to see a take. No luck so I stripped off a bit more line and let it sink a bit. 2 or 3 strips and I joined the boys for the triple Phil mentioned above.
3. Don't give up on a stop. My second hookup came maybe 15 minutes after the last bit of action on a long stop. I made a longish cast, added more line with a bunch of stack mends and let it sink. When I yelled "I am on" after 5 or 6 strips, Chance commented "No way."
4. This is chaos. If I lived closer, I would definitely do it again just to be more relaxed about it and be in a better position to take it all in. I regret not taking the time to hold and admire a live fish, but all you want to do in the moment is get your fly back in the water. Not to mention wanting to avoid the blood shower. When I was hooked up and fish were jumping around the boat, I wish I had watched the show more. I was so focused on fighting my fish, I missed some bait getting smashed 20 feet in front of me.

The boys:

View attachment 83202

The fish:

View attachment 83203

View attachment 83204

Stopped in Woodland on the way home to fill out my quiver for a trip to Christmas Island in January. Need to come up with a unique way to baptize it before the trip. Any suggestions?

View attachment 83205View attachment 83206View attachment 83207
I was just the opposite up in tell my last trip I had only caught tuna on the troll, I also caught mine using the same technique as you used, except I just didn’t cast out I just stripped in tell my fly was close to the boat and let my fly go deep, and repeat as long as someone was fighting a fish. I lost one fish when my bad knot gave up doing it this way as well.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party

Many more pics here:

View attachment 83201

The boys:

View attachment 83202

The fish:

View attachment 83203

View attachment 83204

View attachment 83205View attachment 83206View attachment 83207
Can you squeeze in a trip to any carribean bonefish destinations to work out the kinks ?
Also, that's the lightest I would go for Christmas Island.
If you are going to fish for GTs, a 10wt minimum

CanoeGuy

Steelhead
Can you squeeze in a trip to any carribean bonefish destinations to work out the kinks ?
Also, that's the lightest I would go for Christmas Island.
If you are going to fish for GTs, a 10wt minimum
No, that isn't in the cards. Next time I cast in saltwater will be christmas island. I will be bringing the 7, a backup 8, a 10 and a 12

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Met
Bulls