We Got These River Otters Comin' In

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Ouch!!

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
We floated the Bighole last summer with a local guide, and at the boat launch we stopped at for lunch there were signs cautioning floaters about aggressive otters. I asked the guide about it and he confirmed there was a recent incident where otters had attacked some floaters who had gotten too close to their den. I think it was actually some teens who had gotten out and were on foot along the bank, and they too required a trip to the ER.

As we continued down the river he pointed out their den, which was made of sticks piled up along the bank of the river. Had I not known I likely would've just thought it was a pile of driftwood and wouldn't have thought twice about walking past it had I been wading.

Scary little fu$kers.
angry otter.jpg

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Years ago I got chased out of one end of a small lake by a pair of otters protecting their young. Six agitated otters chattering at me from the water next to my kayak was rather intimidating.

That end of the lake has several large beaver lodges. There is some documentation for beavers cohabitating with otters (Oh the horror! Must be End Times!), and otter will certainly use abandoned beaver lodges.

Same lake, different year, a large otter scrambled out of my beached kayak after a lunch break. He was no doubt looking for his lunch.

These things are bigger than most people think!

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Years ago I got chased out of one end of a small lake by a pair of otters protecting their young. Six agitated otters chattering at me from the water next to my kayak was rather intimidating.

That end of the lake has several large beaver lodges. There is some documentation for beavers cohabitating with otters (Oh the horror! Must be End Times!), and otter will certainly use abandoned beaver lodges.

Same lake, different year, a large otter scrambled out of my beached kayak after a lunch break. He was no doubt looking for his lunch.

These things are bigger than most people think!

They are bigger than most people think! I ran into a family of otters once at a pond and was surprised at just how large they were.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
It’s crazy out there, man. Thankfully, it sounds like Ed is safe. I recall him attracting these vicious mustelids like an electromagnet.

Shad

Life of the Party
Seems otters, like most mammals, turn into major psychopaths when anything gets too close to their new offspring. I recall a similar incident from what I think was the Snoqualmie River in recent years, about the same time of year, where a mother otter attacked someone who was just playing in the river nearby.

Like bear cubs, baby otters may be cute, but if you see one, you had better start looking for your escape route, and fast, because momma ain't far away, she's on a hair trigger, and she's watching....

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah that’s a nightmare scenario.

That’s why I keep a samurai sword strapped to my tube. And yes it is signed by Randy Jackson.

I was in fear of attack by a gang of otters at Merrill once. It was all fun and games with some growly shit talking by me and the otter gang. It got real when one boarded the float tube behind me. Another got on the stripping mat in front of me and hissed as well as postured like a cobra. I don't know how I managed to survive the one behind me. My bellowing yalp scared it off I suppose. I gave that gang allot more distance and respect after that. They didn't bite me or hurt me but the message was really clear. The look on my fishing partners face as the attack ensued was priceless. It made me love otters even more. I've always regarded them as my spirit animal for their capacity of play and laughter. The formidable nature I'll have to work up to.