Was I ahead of my time?

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Back in the early 60's when I was taking my apprenticeship to become an injection mold maker I lived in Manhattan Beach California and had a serious urge to get away from the city and see more of the west. To that end I bought a Morris Minor woody station wagon that I built up to travel in. It had a tiny 948 cc engine with about 37 hp and not even 50 lb of torque and was an underwhelming performer. But that was the heyday of the Austin Healy Sprite and they were being raced everywhere and there were lots of options available for them. I removed the little engine and fitted it with 11:1 pistons, dual SU carbs, a header, the Sebring Long Course cam and the heavy duty 9 spring clutch. Now with much better performance I could easily cruise at freeway speeds and once got stopped by a cop near Santa Barbara for passing a car that the cop thought I was too under powered to pass. Showing him the pristine engine compartment he decided not to give me a ticket and wished me well.

After a shakedown trip to Seattle to see an old Air Force buddy I decided to do a tour of southern British Columbia and set out on a 2 week road trip in what was now a tiny campermobile. I built a comfortable bed into the passenger side, added a cheap cooler chest and set out on an adventure with little knowledge of what to expect. I did expect a lot of gas stops though as the Morris had a tiny fuel tank. At one point at some location in remote BC I was running critically low on fuel and stopped at a ranch to inquire about the nearest fuel availability. The rancher said that his neighbor had some fuel that he would probably sell me. I asked how far it was to his neighbors house and he said 68 miles! I didn't think I could make it so the rancher said he had a tank of 78 octane tractor fuel if that would help. With 11:1 pistons that sounded like a disaster but I had to try it. Those old British cars had Lucas distributors with a thumbwheel that allowed you to retard or advance the ignition so I just dialed the spark back as far as it would go and it worked. The gas was pumped by hand into a graduated cylinder then gravity fed into the car, pretty old school.

I did some back road stuff that the Morris handled quite well. I was running on new recaps that I bought on sale for $8.88 apiece! That was back when I could buy a 24 can case of Valvoline oil for under $10. Driving along a mountain creek at one point I encountered a sign that said:

Absolutely No Gold Panning. Survivors Will Be Prosecuted

It was a fun trip that I learned a lot from and it instilled in me a desire to car (or truck) camp that I still have today. In a way the Morris was the precursor to today's Casa. Nowadays lots of people are doing what I did about 60 years ago but most are doing it in luxury vans that cost anywhere from 70 to 200 thousand dollars. Back then I did it with a rig that I bought for $400 and probably put another $400 into. Cheap thrills, good memories.

cchinook45

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Back in the early 60's when I was taking my apprenticeship to become an injection mold maker I lived in Manhattan Beach California and had a serious urge to get away from the city and see more of the west. To that end I bought a Morris Minor woody station wagon that I built up to travel in. It had a tiny 948 cc engine with about 37 hp and not even 50 lb of torque and was an underwhelming performer. But that was the heyday of the Austin Healy Sprite and they were being raced everywhere and there were lots of options available for them. I removed the little engine and fitted it with 11:1 pistons, dual SU carbs, a header, the Sebring Long Course cam and the heavy duty 9 spring clutch. Now with much better performance I could easily cruise at freeway speeds and once got stopped by a cop near Santa Barbara for passing a car that the cop thought I was too under powered to pass. Showing him the pristine engine compartment he decided not to give me a ticket and wished me well.

After a shakedown trip to Seattle to see an old Air Force buddy I decided to do a tour of southern British Columbia and set out on a 2 week road trip in what was now a tiny campermobile. I built a comfortable bed into the passenger side, added a cheap cooler chest and set out on an adventure with little knowledge of what to expect. I did expect a lot of gas stops though as the Morris had a tiny fuel tank. At one point at some location in remote BC I was running critically low on fuel and stopped at a ranch to inquire about the nearest fuel availability. The rancher said that his neighbor had some fuel that he would probably sell me. I asked how far it was to his neighbors house and he said 68 miles! I didn't think I could make it so the rancher said he had a tank of 78 octane tractor fuel if that would help. With 11:1 pistons that sounded like a disaster but I had to try it. Those old British cars had Lucas distributors with a thumbwheel that allowed you to retard or advance the ignition so I just dialed the spark back as far as it would go and it worked. The gas was pumped by hand into a graduated cylinder then gravity fed into the car, pretty old school.

I did some back road stuff that the Morris handled quite well. I was running on new recaps that I bought on sale for $8.88 apiece! That was back when I could buy a 24 can case of Valvoline oil for under $10. Driving along a mountain creek at one point I encountered a sign that said:

It was a fun trip that I learned a lot from and it instilled in me a desire to car (or truck) camp that I still have today. In a way the Morris was the precursor to today's Casa. Nowadays lots of people are doing what I did about 60 years ago but most are doing it in luxury vans that cost anywhere from 70 to 200 thousand dollars. Back then I did it with a rig that I bought for $400 and probably put another $400 into. Cheap thrills, good memories.
In my younger days I raced a 1967 MGB , wire wheels . It was fun . Also played with Triumph and a Healy 3000. Those British cars were fun but I spent more time fixing then driving. A friend of mine had a P 1800 Volvo , fast and reliable. To this day I think that P1800 was one of the best sports cars ever made.

RCF

Life of the Party
In the late 70's I did a bit of traveling. I had graduated from college and worked in retail management. Then went to another job where I got laid off. I interviewed at the Lazy B and was to start working in 3 months. While collecting unemployment I got in my Datsun 2000 and headed East. Only took what would fit in the trunk and on rear luggage rack. Spent 2 months on the backroads of America. Amazing the great people one meets when you take time and smell the hay fields.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
That is a great read! Living the life in a fun ride. Dual SU's rule. I still appreciate the fact that I can work on a car that like, so simple, yet developable platform. My midget has the same running gear, and the same engine expanded to 1098cc. Much of the car came off the Austin shelf.
In my younger days I raced a 1967 MGB , wire wheels . It was fun . Also played with Triumph and a Healy 3000. Those British cars were fun but I spent more time fixing then driving. A friend of mine had a P 1800 Volvo , fast and reliable. To this day I think that P1800 was one of the best sports cars ever made.
My toy is a Midget
https://pnwflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?media/albums/mg-midget.5/

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Fred Beckey's pink thunderbird predates van life. See 5:45

Last edited:

cchinook45

Smolt
Forum Supporter
That is a great read! Living the life in a fun ride. Dual SU's rule. I still appreciate the fact that I can work on a car that like, so simple, yet developable platform. My midget has the same running gear, and the same engine expanded to 1098cc. Much of the car came off the Austin shelf.

My toy is a Midget
https://pnwflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?media/albums/mg-midget.5/
Very nice , did it have the knock off spinners ? My MGB did , brass hammer to hit them with to get the tire off. Reverse threaded. Also does it have a single S.U. carb or 2 ? I could go on and on. My favorite British one was the TR 6 . Cars today are so boring . S.U. carbs , it stands for Skinner Union , they used to make shoes , then carbs. Lucas wiring also known as the king of darkness , smack the dash to make the lights turn on. Good times !

cchinook45

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Very nice , did it have the knock off spinners ? My MGB did , brass hammer to hit them with to get the tire off. Reverse threaded. Also does it have a single S.U. carb or 2 ? I could go on and on. My favorite British one was the TR 6 . Cars today are so boring . S.U. carbs , it stands for Skinner Union , they used to make shoes , then carbs. Lucas wiring also known as the king of darkness , smack the dash to make the lights turn on. Good times !
Then there was the MGC , they jammed the Heally 6 cylinder into a MGB a lot faster but front heavy . Some of the MGBs had overdrive to keep the rpm down . Wish I had kept it. There are still a lot of MGs around and parts are not a problem. The gals loved it.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party

Ive,
Tough to say yes or no to your question, but yeah the "New" overlanding trend is way beyond over blown. Keep it simple, like you did.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Yes, wire wheels with knock offs and two 1 1/8" SU carbs.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Yes, Ive, you are a true pathfinder. My current candyvan is the successor to a '56 ford 2 door wagon which provided several adventures no nothing like your Canada trip. I'd like a new van but have no need for the majority of so-called "amenites" on these new rigs. Your Morris was superior in many ways.

However, the electrics.....I understand the Brits like warm beer because Lucas makes refrigerators, too.

Lucas: Prince of Darkness Fuse Selection Guide
1691765128520.png

cchinook45

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Yes, Ive, you are a true pathfinder. My current candyvan is the successor to a '56 ford 2 door wagon which provided several adventures no nothing like your Canada trip. I'd like a new van but have no need for the majority of so-called "amenites" on these new rigs. Your Morris was superior in many ways.

However, the electrics.....I understand the Brits like warm beer because Lucas makes refrigerators, too.

View attachment 77266
Hilarious and true !

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

View attachment 77266
Guy, as the owner of 2 Morris Minors, 2 Hillman Minx's and an Austin Healey 3000 I have had my share of Lucas electrics. Visiting a friend on a foggy night in Playa del Rey his MG was misfiring in the dampness. We opening the hood and witnessed a light show with dozens of microscopic lightning strikes bathing the interior in blue light. How the hell did the Brits develop something as good as the Supermarine Spitfire?

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Guy, as the owner of 2 Morris Minors, 2 Hillman Minx's and an Austin Healey 3000 I have had my share of Lucas electrics. Visiting a friend on a foggy night in Playa del Rey his MG was misfiring in the dampness. We opening the hood and witnessed a light show with dozens of microscopic lightning strikes bathing the interior in blue light. How the hell did the Brits develop something as good as the Supermarine Spitfire?
I spent 6 weeks repairing all the electronics in my midget when I first got it. Just fixed the original harness. It's not to bad, but bad grounds and bulb holders are the most common issues. The bullet connectors can be trouble, but di-electric grease has kept them from corroding and working well. Mines pre-alternator but is negative ground as it should be. It was positive grounded like the previous generation (where the motor came from) and so messed up with wires going the wrong places when I got it.

Last edited: