Walk in options near Florence OR

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Gonna be staying in a VRBO on the ocean with my family this month. Looking for a place to hop out for a few hours at a time (before others get up when possible). Saw a number of lakes with planters and some beach access, thinking an SRC opportunity would awesome. Could be convinced to haul my boat or a frameless pontoon if there was something really cool to pursue.

The usual provisos apply... Not asking for honey holes and hotspots... feel free to PM me with responses.
Thanks,
Erich

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
General rules state SRC's aren't open until standard trout opener on May 22nd.

However, take a look at the regs, I'm not 100% sure about the Siuslaw, it may be allowed in the bay or tidewater.

I haven't fished down there, but I would bet standard OR coast fare. Surf perch on the beach, and various rock bass on the jetty.

MELinOre

Steelhead
I would take the pontoon. There are a number of lakes at the north edge of Florence. Google Earth is your friend.

Last edited:

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The trout and anadromous fish snob in me wants to drag my boat or take a pontoon along and fish a river or stillwater (probably no anadro fish up there to target right now?). But the simplicity of walking down to the water and fishing is compelling. It also is less likely to turn me into the absentee patriarch. "Where's Dad?", "he's fishing, where else would he be?"

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Surf perch are pretty easy, cast something shrimpy/crabby with orange and move till you find a school. Conventional tackle is easier and less work. Something that can throw out an ounce or two of weight on a carolina rig with a gulp sandworm on a hook (a steelhead float rod works great). They also make great fish tacos!

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You can access Siltcoos at Westlake, and Woahink at the north end. Both have a variety of fish. Cleawox has a ramp, but I suspect you would need to bring your own bucket of water to fish on weekends. Google Earth is your friend for this area.

Last edited:

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Honeyman Park/Cleawox and pontoon. Intel from my local FF Club had a great time on a recent outing. 😉