SFR Vevor Chamber Vac Experience

Sorta fishing-related

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
(I originally posted this on our other forum we shut down - pnwfishing.net. reposting for the folks here)

From a recommendation another forum, I grabbed myself a Vevor Chamber Vac when they went on sale recently. So picked this beast up for $100 off.

Pulled it all out of the box and was actually pretty impressed with how sturdy it was. I was expecting things to feel flimsy and cheap, but didn't feel that way at all after checking it out.
1701788045144.png

From reading the "manual," if you can call it that, and from reading a few of the stickers on the unit: This is most definitely a Chicom product. If that's not your bag, then this one isn't for you. I personally try pretty dang hard to not buy such things, and had a hunch when I ordered but did it anyways. Truth is, I can't afford the name brand one and likely never would be able to pick one up, so settled with this. After my experience with the Weston unit, I was ready for anything else.

Be warned that you SHOULD NOT fire it up and use it out of the box. They don't go out of their way to tell you this, but the required oil needed for the internals needs to be poured in first. The manual written in fairly easy to understand "Engrish" notes that you have to remove a couple screws and flip the top of the unit up off the base. I of course started on the WRONG end of the unit (kinda looked right based on the photos) instead of the back of the unit with the big red sticker that says "Open From Here."

1701788098646.png
(opening from the wrong end: the hoses prevented the unit from lifting all the way up which should have been my first clue I goofed.)

(Ah, that's better! As you can see, the oil level is basically empty upon arrival.)

1701788110297.png
Once open, filling up the oil is fairly easy. It takes almost the entirety of the bottle that was shipped with it to be at the level recommended in the "manual."

1701788126562.png
I will say: Getting it back together was a huge pain. Lining up the screw holes took both my wife and I coordinating to make it happen. Did not enjoy.

Figured I'd fire things up and give it a go. I had some peeled garlic cloves I wanted to throw back in the freezer, so decided they'd be my first attempt. I pushed the settings button to see what could be messed with and noticed there's a timer (which is the amount of time air is sucked from the chamber). Naturally, the "manual" doesn't really mention this or give you a suggested time. So I decided to just assume that 35 seconds was the default and just went for it. Well, my 20something whole garlic cloves may or may not have been compressed in to a single brick. Turns our 35 seconds is super hard core.

Had some chunks of squash left over from making dinner tonight, so tossed those in a bag and played around with different times, and just used a new bag each time. 15sec seems to be about the sweet spot, and what I'll likely use for my first fish attempt.
1701788144307.png

1701788160831.png
(Squash brick from 20sec of suction)

Video of 10sec of suction on the squash:

The main argument I hear about these units is that they're so heavy as to not be "portable." I'd have no issues hauling this out to my buoy 10 camp. It's not exactly light, but it isn't hard to pick up and carry either.

All-in-all, first impressions say it's worth the price of just a bit over $300 that I paid for it. I don't feel great about the Chicom aspect, but what's done is done and if it does the job, then I'll be happy with the purchase. If it doesn't, then maybe I'll figure out a way to get me a name brand unit when the Forum business really takes off

Update as of December 2023: Used it all through salmon and tuna season. Put some SERIOUS mileage on it, and not one hiccup. Already got my money's worth out of it, and it's still working GREAT.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
One more thing: I want everyone to know that it is good helper for keeping food fresh and taste.
1701788335512.png

Reactions: NRC

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Worth noting that the company makes a similar one that is less powerful, so watch out for that if you are shopping around, they look almost exactly the same.

Evan's is the DZ-260A and has a 6.5 m³/h pump rate and runs about $350. The less expensive DZ-260S has a 3 m³/h pump rate and runs around $280

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Actually think this is the one here I was going to upgrade to. They just moved things around a bit. Note this slightly larger one has the stronger pump motor.

Mtnsaremyhome

Steelhead
Thanks Evan for the great info!

Recent events have me thinking more seriously about an upgrade like this from a basic foodsaver....

O clarkii lewisi

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Anyone have experience with Anova vac sealers? These look like a good alternative to F Savers. I was going thru a food sealer brand unit per year ish and got tired of throwing them out and replacing them. Much smaller counter top unit, not in the chamber vac realm.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Tough to imagine going back to a “suck & seal” style after using a chamber, for sure!
Big time agree. Heard that for years but it wasn't until I drank the proverbial kool-aid that I was convinced. Wouldn't consider a suck n seal again.