VE-Day

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
May 8, 1945 is a day that none of us that lived during WWII will ever forget. I was born 3 1/2 years before Pearl Harbor so all of my early memories were defined by war. The European war was particularly impactful to the adults in the family as they were 2nd generation immigrants to America. All I knew in those early years was rationing, shortages and bad news about how things were going both in Europe and the Pacific. I grew up with no toys like kids usually have and didn't have a real Christmas until 1946. I didn't get to see my grandparents in Michigan during the war years as there was not enough gas available to go visit them. So the day it ended was a joyous event for a war weary world suffering from the worst war in history.

The losses on both sides were staggering, the Army Air Force losses in bombing raids resulting in more deaths than all of the Marine losses in the bloody Pacific island hopping campaign combined. Germany sent over 3 million troops into Russia and only a relative handful of them ever returned. One of those returnees tutored me during my apprenticeship as an injection mold maker. He had a picture in his tool box of Adolph Hitler pinning a medal on his chest. I was always fascinated with the air war because I loved airplanes enough as a young boy to eventually join the Air Force. The throbbing roar of piston engine fighters that shook the windows in the house was unforgettable and the steady drone of bombers far overhead was the music of the day. Right after the war my dad drove us through row after row of retired B-29 bombers freshly returned to the US and awaiting destruction. They bore the scars of war, the patches, repair, wear and tear of many long trips to Japan and back and all of the bomb symbols indicated how many missions they had flown. It was an indelible experience for a young kid to be among those monsters and realize what they had been through.

As much as I was fascinated by the air war I was horrified by the submarine war. Leaning toward claustrophobic I couldn't imagine a worse way to die than underwater in a steel coffin. German submariners started the war as heroes with all of their successes during 'The Happy Time' but in 1943 they were no longer the predator but the prey. Of the 40,000 that entered submarine service during the war 30,000 were killed with almost 750 subs lost, a 75% loss rate. Germany sent 62 submarines into the Meditteranean during the war and none ever returned to the Atlantic. The glamour of the early years had turned to horror.

It was such a relief to have it over but there were still months of war left in the Pacific and both of my uncles were in the thick of it. They talked little about it. After the war I met a number of combatants, the 88mm gunner that I took apprenticeship from and I backpacked with a German that was a little older than me but too young to be in Hitler's Youth Corps. I also worked with a Frenchman that had been incarcerated by the Germans for several years and he had some provocative stories to tell indeed. And I went to visit a B-24 pilot friend of my older brother that had survived the Ploesti raid. Each had his own perspective on the war but each had survived and become successful in the post war years. We all had one thing in common-we were damned glad it was over.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
We all had one thing in common-we were damned glad it was over.
Thank You for your personal perspective on largest and deadliest conflict in history.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My paternal grandfather left Fishtrap WA to join the Navy in I think 1936. He was a submariner in China and then in the Atlantic in World War 2. I recall when I was about 12, we went on a submarine docked in Baltimore Harbor that was the same class he served on in the War. I can still remember how easily he glided through it 45 years after he last set foot in one. And I was whacking my head and elbows on everything. I also recall that as chief forward torpedoman, he preferred to bunk in the torpedos instead of sharing bunk space. I could not imagine sleeping on a torpedo or any of what submariners did
My maternal grandfather escaped then Czechoslovakia and flew Wellingtons in the RAF311 Czech squadron. I believe for the first two years he flew east into Europe and then switch to coastal command. He did not survive as his Wellington crashed on a training mission in ocean.

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
thank you for sharing this. I could not even imagine.
None of us can begin to imagine the horror of WWII.

But it seems that each generation of humans cannot get enough of war....and have to learn the same sad lessons over, and over again.

Nothing's changed. Old men sending young people off to die.

The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
My favorite uncle, a great guy with a wonderful sense of humor, was a submariner during WW2 that was one of just a handful that escaped from their sub when it was depth charged in the Pacific. The survivors spent a week clinging to wreckage, covered in bunker oil before they were rescued by a US destroyer. Unc said the oil saved them from the sharks which would show up and then swim away after encountering the oil slick around them.
My uncle was a Jew who as a pre-teen had immigrated with his family to the US during the mid 30's, finding out after the war that all of the relatives that had remained behind in Germany died in Nazi concentration camps. With the war on, Unc had enlisted in the Navy the day he turned 18.
Unc was also the first person to ever take me fishing, wet wading the Russian River together by his family vacation house, flinging Super Duper's against the brushy shore where the smallmouth bass hung out.
Some dudes just rise above the others...

Pescaphile

Steelhead
This is my dad before shipping off to Europe as a gunner on a B-24. He sent the picture below to my grandma and wrote the messages you see on it. I chuckle at his "That's where I'll be - right up in the nose" note because he ended up in the position farthest away, he was the tailgunner.

I still have the Alaska ring.
Alaska_Ring.jpg

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
This is my dad before shipping off to Europe as a gunner on a B-24. He sent the picture below to my grandma and wrote the messages you see on it. I chuckle at his "That's where I'll be - right up in the nose" note because he ended up in the position farthest away, he was the tailgunner.

I still have the Alaska ring.
View attachment 113354
That narrow tunnel the tail gunner had to crawl through, isolated from the rest of the air crew while all hell broke loose, the crewman with the least chance of making it out of the plane...your pop had some steel in him

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This is my uncle ,that passed away this past November at the age of 100. I took this picture of him stooping down at the age of 92 explaining to us how things worked in the ball turret . He flew with the 390th bomb group out of England . The older lady in the background stepped back ,she was the tour director ,and said I want to listen to the real expert . :) These pictures were taken at the air museum in Tucson , Az. . One entire building dedicated to the 390th . The other picture is one of crew he was with ,he's bottom right . He flew his 25 missions on a B-17 as a ball turret gunner ,bombing Germany . He was one of three survivors of his first crew , Ordered to bail out over Belgium on one mission , pilot was unsure they were going to make it over land ,they actually bailed when still over water ,but between the altitude , and wind direction they made it over land before they landed on the ground . Many other stories , he finally started sharing some of them. This particular visit with him in Tucson at age 92 , my aunt made the comment we are hearing things that I haven't heard , after being married to him for over 60 years . As many know, a lot of these WW2 guys did not want to talk about their war experiences .IMG_0275.JPGIMG_0289.JPG

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Bless him, and multitudes of others for their service and sacrifice.
Excellent picture.
I have a picture of my father from Korea, that I cherish.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks Ive for the reminder and portrayal of life here back then.
U2NG, very similarly my father never spoke to us about the war and his experiences. He was a Marine MGSgt in the Pacific and later in Korea. On occasion an old MC buddy would look him up. I was mesmerized by the stories they shared. Brutal but sometimes funny.
DL

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
War sucks…to quote Mark Knopfler in one of his songs, we still settle our differences at the point of the sword.

My mom endured the Japanese occupation of the Korean peninsula during WWIi, and the communist Chinese during the Korean War… being the sole survivor of her family, which lived far north of the 38th parallel, she witnessed first hand the atrocities of war…she was the strongest person I have ever met in my lifetime, and whenever I was going through a rough patch in my own personal life, I just thought of her…and my problems seemed somewhat trivial in comparison.

Last edited:

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks Ive for the reminder and portrayal of life here back then.
U2NG, very similarly my father never spoke to us about the war and his experiences. He was a Marine MGSgt in the Pacific and later in Korea. On occasion an old MC buddy would look him up. I was mesmerized by the stories they shared. Brutal but sometimes funny.
My dad , was in the army in the Philippines , and New Guinea. He did share a bit of it , not much on the fighting , but experiences like having a pet monkey , and some of the war buddies . Telling about going on leave in Australia , and many getting rounded up , and taken back to the war .

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
My Dad landed on Normandy as a young company commander by virtue of his ROTC training in college. When they had the 50th anniversary ceremony there we asked him he would like us to take him over to be a part of the remembrance and to see again where it had all happened. He declined saying that it would only remind him of the men he had lost and that the only thing he would like to see was the foxhole where he spent 5 days wondering if he was next. Never said anything else to any of family though I am sure my Mom knew a lot more than the rest of us. The greatest generation indeed.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My father was in Iceland, one of at least 100,000 Marines (if I recall), preparing to invade Europe. Then when Pearl Harbor happened, all of the Marines boarded Liberty Ships for the long journey to Hawaii. The only meat they had on board was sheep. He hated lamb for the rest of his life. They then staged in Hawaii and off to Guadalcanal to start the Pacific Theater. Fortunately maybe he was in artillery, so not on the absolute front line, charging up the hill. But close enough to get shot at.
My mother was in the Marines too. Played oboe in the Women’s Marine Corps Band. They never left the US (I don’t think) but they were part of the effort to drum up $upport for the war effort playing events all over. Those women had well attended reunions every two years until the last of them died.

Last edited: