Using a kayak to get into the lily pads.

Today I fished Clear Lake. I've always fished this lake in my beloved float tube. But today I fished it in my "sit on top" kayak. Much of this lake is covered with "Lilly pads" that make float tubes (and power boats) impracticable .The fish know this. But the kayak effortlessly glides over the thickest salad. The kayak opened up a vast amount of water that I had previously only dreamed of fishing effectively. A weedless frog casted into the heaviest weeds is something that bass have nightmares about.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Today I fished Clear Lake. I've always fished this lake in my beloved float tube. But today I fished it in my "sit on top" kayak. Much of this lake is covered with "Lilly pads" that make float tubes (and power boats) impracticable .The fish know this. But the kayak effortlessly glides over the thickest salad. The kayak opened up a vast amount of water that I had previously only dreamed of fishing effectively. A weedless frog casted into the heaviest weeds is something that bass have nightmares about.
It's the Ohio way. I might be the only one left chasing bass w/ no kayak.

Marc Fryt

Smolt
To get through thick lily pads I've used my inflatable paddle board and just taken the fin off from the bottom to further minimize getting caught on the vegetation. It works pretty well, but once the wind picks up you get blown around too much. Standing on the SUP also really helps to spot any openings in the lily pads to toss the fly into.

I also did the same thing when I lived in Ohio for a couple years, those lily pads are crazy thick out there!