Rod Building Using a 7’ Fly Blank for an Ultralight?

Divad

Whitefish
While trying to get my 4 yr old nephew into fishing my sister has become hooked. So much so that she even shares his rod but ultimately fishes 85% of the time.

So wanted to build her an ultralight for her birthday. Since she loves orange I found a 7’ 3wt glass blank in the color but was wondering how this would fair? I figured the glass would be more durable, predominately casting a worm and corky w/ a split shot, altogether no more than an 1/8oz. Catching 6-8in smallmouth, yellow perch and the occasional trout or two.

Anybody have input on this? Was even thinking to nip off the top foot or so of blank…

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
While trying to get my 4 yr old nephew into fishing my sister has become hooked. So much so that she even shares his rod but ultimately fishes 85% of the time.

So wanted to build her an ultralight for her birthday. Since she loves orange I found a 7’ 3wt glass blank in the color but was wondering how this would fair? I figured the glass would be more durable, predominately casting a worm and corky w/ a split shot, altogether no more than an 1/8oz. Catching 6-8in smallmouth, yellow perch and the occasional trout or two.

Anybody have input on this? Was even thinking to nip off the top foot or so of blank…

Not very helpful but just wanted to say what a nice thing to do for your sister!

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
I would use it as is. I have built spinning rods out of fly blanks before. I was told a rough rule in the past of blank wt/16 in oz for casting weight. So 3/16 oz with the 3 wt sounds about right for what you want.

Chucker

Steelhead
Might be a bit slow for a spinning rig - I tried something similar with a glass fly blank decades ago, and it was not worth the effort. But, you never know ‘til you try. I would tape on some guides and a reel with masking tape and go out and cast the thing. I definitely wouldn’t cut the tip off the blank, that never seems to help things.

Divad

Whitefish
Thank you both for the info, I like the wt/16 trick. Out of all the ultralight rods I have the one everybody likes the most is a Berkeley Trout Dough that I bought 18yrs ago. It’s glass, very noodly but tapers quick and goes through a beating w/o breaking.

I could help speed the rod up with a 4wt choice but optimally I’d want a 6ft rod and the 4wts are all 7’6” and up.

I’ll take both of your sentiments and not go cutting parts off just yet. Thank you again.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My kokanee rods are on 3 weight blanks and when I mess around and cast them with an eighth oz lure the rod is too soft in the middle to launch anything. Maybe better with a spinning reel but with a baitcaster it does not work for me. Fwiw

Divad

Whitefish
My kokanee rods are on 3 weight blanks and when I mess around and cast them with an eighth oz lure the rod is too soft in the middle to launch anything. Maybe better with a spinning reel but with a baitcaster it does not work for me. Fwiw
Good to know, my sister only likes the spincast push button reels so it would be closer to a baitcaster than spin. Also was thinking she might high lift some larger bass or trout and don't want the rod to break. In conjunction with those two points I am starting to think it would be wise to find the proper blank.

Looks like Batson in Sequim makes a glass, 6ft, black, ultralight spinning blank for a good price. Will shoot them a call tomorrow to ask if they have a painting service, else might need to do that part myself.