USB fans-they have really improved

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The tiny USB powered fans have become a staple for anyone needing relief from heat, to move heat around, cool a baby, a dog, a tent, an RV or in my case the inside of my Casa. I have been using them since I first discovered them several years ago and by now have 4, all cost about $15 originally. And although they will run all night on low and are very quiet, the rechargeable batteries are only rated at around 3000mah providing remarkable performance for such a low powered unit. Better batteries could only improve things.

Fast forward to 2023 and by now they have grown up. Some are now using 12000mah batteries and will run on low for about 65 hours! In addition some now have an LED light array with adjustable brightness and timers so that you can go to sleep with the fan on and have it shut off once things cool down. Additionally with such a large battery they can also be used to charge a phone or other small electronic devices. Prices haven't quite doubled and they are still under $30-quite a lot of bang for the buck. One of mine got too close to the heat and melted some of the cage so I am in the market for a new one and was surprised how much they had advanced since I last bought one. Hoping for a deal on Prime Day!

Here's a hack that might help if you have some of the older models. The switch on many of them (on 3 of mine) was flush with the surface and was very difficult to locate, especially in low light or darkness. If that has been as irritating to some of you as it has been to me you would like an easy fix. The answer might be as close as your tying bench. I cleaned the switches with denatured alcohol and roughed the surface slightly then applied UV resin to the switch and cured it. A few more applications and I had a small raised button that I could easily feel without needing a light to find it. An easy and quick fix and one that the manufacturer should have molded in when the product was built.