Us Admins appreciate you all and hope you feel the same way! (donation drive)

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Weird title, I know, but couldn't come up with a better one :D

As our 2yr anniversary is just around the corner, we wanted to take a moment to once again thank everyone for helping us keep this place humming along, and quite smoothly I might add! It's genuinely a pleasure to have such a large, active group of folks from so many different walks of life that just plain have a way of finding common ground. We tried to make a second forum for all matters of non-fly fishing and did not have the same experience overall, so it has made us appreciate this place that much more.

While this is fairly outside our comfort zone to just come right out and say, we wanted to take the time to remind everyone what keeps the lights on here. We currently have no corporate sponsors, ad revenue, or member data selling to bring in the big bucks. 100% of our funding comes from our users. We have a product here, and we hope that it's worth a few bucks to you for its use. We don't require it (for most things on here anyways), but we hope that we've made a place that is something you feel is worth contributing to keep around.

As things have settled down from our initial launch, so has financial support. We want to remind everyone that us admins make no paycheck. We put in actual work to keep this place alive, and it takes money to pay the bills to keep the services running. So, it's fair to say we essentially work for free, but as long as this place keeps being a positive outlet for us, we're totally fine with that.

So, to keep things short, that's the jist of what we wanted to say. I know that not everyone feels compelled to contribute, and we anticipated that from the start. We also have no problem reminding folks there is an alternative forum that has no user contribution requirement to use the full site - so long as you're ok with invasive ads that track your online activity and them selling your data as a product. For us - we're VERY opposed to that business model and would shut this place down before moving to that type of revenue. So as long as this place is worth it for you, it's worth it for us.

Thanks again everyone!

BECOME A FORUM SUPPORTER

If the above was too much to read or you're short on time, here's the shortened version:
please.gif

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
While not everyone has the spare change to donate to PNWFF, I want to offer a deep thanks to anyone who is able to help support us and this site. We appreciate it and so does the rest of the community.

I genuinely enjoy what this place has become and want to keep it going for a very long time.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Another thing I wanted to add: with every post, every new member, and every photo/piece of media posted, so grows our storage needs. We have had to upgrade our server many times since launch, and will need to continue doing so. As our membership grows, and contributions go down, it makes it harder to make these moves. So we appreciate everyone taking the time to hear us out :)

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
It is well worth donating some money each year to help PNW Fly Fishing grow! Thanks for running the site! :)

Also, donating more fly fishing knowledge (articles, posts) and fishing reports will expand the member base.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
It is well worth donating some money each year to help PNW Fly Fishing grow! Thanks for running the site! :)

Also, donating more fly fishing knowledge (articles, posts) and fishing reports will expand the member base.
Both types of contributions are VERY essential to our long term success :D

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Absolutely! There is more than one way to donate to the site if money isn't an option for someone. We have a TON of smart people here with knowledge that would be appreciated by many.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
A yearly review of pictures/files?

Lots of us like to post funny pics and memes. A lot of times I wonder how much storage this takes. But also it's adds to the banter and bs day to day stuff.

Is there a way to clear it out yearly unless it's important stuff like 'what's in your vise' or a trip report, other fishing related things? It wouldn't make me sad to see the humor thread trimmed to only a year of history.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
so grows our storage needs
@Evan B do you have a optimal file size for photos? Does it matter? I feel like my TR’s tend to be pretty photo heavy and they’re often pretty big files. Would you prefer they were condensed? I know one person doesn’t make much of a difference but it all adds up

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
A yearly review of pictures/files?

Lots of us like to post funny pics and memes. A lot of times I wonder how much storage this takes. But also it's adds to the banter and bs day to day stuff.

Is there a way to clear it out yearly unless it's important stuff like 'what's in your vise' or a trip report, other fishing related things? It wouldn't make me sad to see the humor thread trimmed to only a year of history.
No real efficient way to do so, no. there might be a software suite that makes that easier, but that also would cost money. But, it's just another thing that makes more work for us when getting a bigger server is probably a better use of our time/resources.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
@Evan B do you have a optimal file size for photos? Does it matter? I feel like my TR’s tend to be pretty photo heavy and they’re often pretty big files. Would you prefer they were condensed? I know one person doesn’t make much of a difference but it all adds up
We have size limits on photo files, so as long as you're within those, you're totally fine.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
A PSA to members on January first, completely voluntary. If you wish, go back and nuke any pics you don't want to keep. Then the admins don't have to do the leg work. I'll do it anyways. Easy even for me, just click on your name then media and click away.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
A PSA to members on January first, completely voluntary. If you wish, go back and nuke any pics you don't want to keep. Then the admins don't have to do the leg work. I'll do it anyways. Easy even for me, just click on your name then media and click away.
Please don't do this.

Yes, it might save a little server space. But it also destroys many useful threads that might help/attract/interest people in the future.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, I agree it isn't worth doing - cons outweigh the pros. Growing is a good thing.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Both types of contributions are VERY essential to our long term success :D
Shit, I'm lagging on my promise to that point....I swear, at some point I'll finish that good old tiger musky one that's basically done.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Weird title, I know, but couldn't come up with a better one :D

As our 2yr anniversary is just around the corner, we wanted to take a moment to once again thank everyone for helping us keep this place humming along, and quite smoothly I might add! It's genuinely a pleasure to have such a large, active group of folks from so many different walks of life that just plain have a way of finding common ground. We tried to make a second forum for all matters of non-fly fishing and did not have the same experience overall, so it has made us appreciate this place that much more.

While this is fairly outside our comfort zone to just come right out and say, we wanted to take the time to remind everyone what keeps the lights on here. We currently have no corporate sponsors, ad revenue, or member data selling to bring in the big bucks. 100% of our funding comes from our users. We have a product here, and we hope that it's worth a few bucks to you for its use. We don't require it (for most things on here anyways), but we hope that we've made a place that is something you feel is worth contributing to keep around.

As things have settled down from our initial launch, so has financial support. We want to remind everyone that us admins make no paycheck. We put in actual work to keep this place alive, and it takes money to pay the bills to keep the services running. So, it's fair to say we essentially work for free, but as long as this place keeps being a positive outlet for us, we're totally fine with that.

So, to keep things short, that's the jist of what we wanted to say. I know that not everyone feels compelled to contribute, and we anticipated that from the start. We also have no problem reminding folks there is an alternative forum that has no user contribution requirement to use the full site - so long as you're ok with invasive ads that track your online activity and them selling your data as a product. For us - we're VERY opposed to that business model and would shut this place down before moving to that type of revenue. So as long as this place is worth it for you, it's worth it for us.

Thanks again everyone!

BECOME A FORUM SUPPORTER

If the above was too much to read or you're short on time, here's the shortened version:
View attachment 82205
Not seeing how I can renew my recurring payment, which expires 3 October. Just tried it and it only sent a one-time payment.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was way overdue. Thanks for the friendly reminder.