Upper clear fork cowlitz

I'm going to be up on the upper clear fork cowlitz river later this week, seems like it could be very hit or miss in terms of fishing.

Planning on taking my 9' 5wt rod, with pretty standard WF5 line. Got an assortment of leaders to play with and try different areas of the water column.

Nearby fly shop recommended an attractor fly with a nymph dropper, pretty standard prospecting set up.

Wanted to see if there was anything else I should expect?

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Expect a good time. Some fish, maybe a big one, decent food if you bought it and can cook it, a nice contemplative drink in the evening, and a good sleep in the fresh air. Expect to hike and/or wade somewhere you probably shouldn't have, and a wildlife encounter that'll make you smile.

Of course, it's all about the fishing.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm going to be up on the upper clear fork cowlitz river later this week, seems like it could be very hit or miss in terms of fishing.

Planning on taking my 9' 5wt rod, with pretty standard WF5 line. Got an assortment of leaders to play with and try different areas of the water column.

Nearby fly shop recommended an attractor fly with a nymph dropper, pretty standard prospecting set up.

Wanted to see if there was anything else I should expect?

This is a river I kayak. Right now you will have very high flows. I'd have to check but we are generally wanting high flows but at the moment i think it's higher than we want to have anything to do with. I don't think fishing would be super productive at the moment.

As far as fishing expect brook trout in the very upper reaches closer to the pass. Rainbows and cuts are had below in the reach to the palisades and below. I've not caught anything big in here but it could be possible I suppose. They aren't picky. Hiking and wading in the canyon is extreme in areas so be careful given the high flows. I would think this reach fishes better in later summer after flows recede.

This is a river I kayak. Right now you will have very high flows. I'd have to check but we are generally wanting high flows but at the moment i think it's higher than we want to have anything to do with. I don't think fishing would be super productive at the moment.

As far as fishing expect brook trout in the very upper reaches closer to the pass. Rainbows and cuts are had below in the reach to the palisades and below. I've not caught anything big in here but it could be possible I suppose. They aren't picky. Hiking and wading in the canyon is extreme in areas so be careful given the high flows. I would think this reach fishes better in later summer after flows recede.
I've just returned and can confidently say that this was in fact the case. River running higher than some locals had ever seen and was the color of tea. Not productive fishing, but I did hike a bit, wade a bit, crossed paths with what I assume was a very startled whitetail deer, and had some drinks in the evening. I would even say at least one was contemplative.

All in all, a good first camping trip of the summer.