Two seats available on each of 2 days of tuna fishing in midl/late August with the legend, Nick Clayton

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Hi folks,
Tuna are now being caught out of Westport!!! Due some folks who have had to reschedule or who have had family things come up (I wish that their kids had talked to me about their procreation plans as the anticipated arrival of a grandkid has knocked at least one angler off the angler list ;) ), I have two seats available on Sunday, August 20th [edit on 9 July, one seat available] and two seats available on Tuesday, August 22nd [edit on 9 July, one seat available. Edit on July 11. Second seat taken.] on a private tuna charter out of Westport with All Rivers. I have received confirmation from Nick and from All Rivers that @Nick Clayton will be on board, a) hopefully as captain, b) perhaps as mate, or c) as my personal photographer / videographer...
These two days are in a prime weather window (less chance of cancellation, better chance of calmer seas (fingers crossed)), in the heart of the tuna season, just after the new moon (August 16th); I reserved these dates in January for these reasons. The other angler at this point is the experienced pro @Bagman. So whether you are an experienced albacore wrangler or want to give this unique, world-class fishery a try, send me a PM and I will provide you with more details.
Steve

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
As Steve mentioned, one way or another I'll be riding along on those trips. If I have my license back I'll be running the boat. If not, I'll be along to help as I can. I will also have gear and flies available so if you want to give this fishery a shot but lack of the appropriate gear might be holding you back, then that won't be an issue.

Steve and Al are both great guys, fun to fish with, easy going, and super knowledgeable. Anyone would have a good time fishing with those guys.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
At this point, one seat on Sunday, the 20th, and one seat on Tuesday, the 22nd.
Steve

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wish I could. Hopefully somebody will jump on this.

Also wanna say that I can't thank Steve ( @Cabezon ) enough for taking over as official PNWFF "charter secretary".

No offense to anyone on here or the old board, but arranging these trips is a major PITA. I admittedly sucked at it, but I also have the administrative skills of a chimp.

That said, it was (and remains) totally worth it when we get a crew on the water. Especially to see the reactions when someone hooks their first tuna.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
If I didn't already have a trip planned, and a HI trip later in Aug, I'd jump in. I learned a ton last year by going with some more experienced folks.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Since I can’t go this year, if any forum supporter wants to borrow a setup or two they can. Dozens of flies for you to use, too.

1 - Scott Sector 8’4” 13wt w/Tibor Pacific and Airflo Big Game line. (and about 10 kajillion feet of backing) Casts like an 11 or 12wt.

2 - G Loomis Short Stix 7' 6" 11/12 w/Redington Behemoth and Floating Tarpon line. I love it and have used it mostly for poppers, but works very well for everything with a line/reel swap.

3 - North Fork Composites Iconoglass 8'6" 12wt fiberglass rod w/Redington Behemoth and Airflo Big Game line. Custom built for me and tuna by Terry Turner, this rod is silly amounts of fun when hooked up.

I’m just north of Seattle, 5min from I-5 N/S and 405.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Can confirm the fun factor on the NFC IG (without sacrificing lifting power). Once ya go glass....

Bagman

Steelhead
I made the mistake of reading the Tuna 2023 thread just now. Urgh. If the seat on the 20th is still available, I'll take it. Will need to figure out where to get some flies though. And start wandering the neighborhood collecting cans...
I’ll hand you a few flys and I’m sure some of the other guys will as well. I’m not that great of a fly tier but they do get eaten it up to you to land the fish.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Can confirm the fun factor on the NFC IG (without sacrificing lifting power). Once ya go glass....
Can confirm the confirmation
IMG_0020.jpeg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I made the mistake of reading the Tuna 2023 thread just now. Urgh. If the seat on the 20th is still available, I'll take it. Will need to figure out where to get some flies though. And start wandering the neighborhood collecting cans...
PM me your address, I'll send ya a few too.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Excellent. I will put you in that slot.
Steve

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Just an FYI, I DO crimp the barbs on all of my hooks....I'm a firm believer in ease of bodily removal (still have a 2/0 sized scar on my finger from Baja). The bump left acts like a nice little micro barb too....you're gonna have a blast!!!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Happy to send you some flies if you want