Twitter (called it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Fuck twitter.

There is a common thread for everything in this country that is or has turned to shit.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
"This is business/finance, free speech, culture, politics, geo-politics, and raw power all combined into one story.
Twitter is the most powerful website in the world but Musk has taken a shot at the regime. We'll see where it goes but they have my attention." @swimmy

So now it has lost its fascination to you since it didn't turn out the way you wanted? If it doesn't turn out the way you want, it's all "Shit"?

This is as @cody predicted, just Musk showing the a'hole he is. I think it was all for show and publicity, little else.

Cheers

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Twitter is extremely powerful but at its core is rotten.

I hope they sue. Would give us all an opportunity to look under the hood.

I really don't know much about Twitter, don't use it and really don't care about it too much, but would be interested to know how its "core is rotten" - from the little I do know, seems less rotten than Facebook, Tik Tok or any number of other sites (various "Chan") - not sure about its power, apparently only ranks 10th in use.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I would say Twitter is rotten in that it is an internet iteration of a social group where anonymous people put forth ideas or propaganda or outright lies without any real moderation. They (Twitter) are suing to force Musk to go through with the purchase, which would further rot the core as he said he wants less moderation, and his own use of broadcast speech is a bit troubling.

I hope they are unsuccessful.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
My take is that Musk really wanted to buy Twitter, but for substantially less money so he fucked around on Twitter, raised a bunch of noise, drove the stock price down and tried to negotiate a lower offer. Twitter refused to lower the purchase price on a contract already signed (with Musk waiving due diligence) so Musk used bots as an excuse to try to back out. Secondary to that is that Musk wanted some proprietary information prior to sale to further enable his Twitter fuckery and Twitter refused and now he's "taking his ball and going home."

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
I would say Twitter is rotten in that it is an internet iteration of a social group where anonymous people put forth ideas or propaganda or outright lies without any real moderation. They (Twitter) are suing to force Musk to go through with the purchase, which would further rot the core as he said he wants less moderation, and his own use of broadcast speech is a bit troubling.

I hope they are unsuccessful.

And how is this different than other platforms where folks lie and put forth propaganda and disinformation (see Facebook, etc)? Don't have a dog in this fight, other than I can't stand Musk, who is no real friend of freedom, he's as rotten to the core as any of them, just not sure I understand what apparently makes Twitter any more rotten than the rest (again, I don't use Twitter of any other social media other than PNWflyfishing).

cheers

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
There is a common thread for everything in this country that is or has turned to shit.

It's not Twitter; it's the broken political system.

... I can't stand Musk, who is no real friend of freedom, he's as rotten to the core as any of them ...

I think Musk means well, but has become increasingly comfortable with doing crappy things in pursuit of his vision of the greater good. Tackling climate change and making our species multi-planetary are not without virtue.

Last edited:

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
And how is this different than other platforms where folks lie and put forth propaganda and disinformation (see Facebook, etc)? Don't have a dog in this fight, other than I can't stand Musk, who is no real friend of freedom, he's as rotten to the core as any of them, just not sure I understand what apparently makes Twitter any more rotten than the rest (again, I don't use Twitter of any other social media other than PNWflyfishing).

cheers
I agree with you. The big social platforms have become an accelerant to the spread of false information and divisive ideas. Twitter is probably not as bad a some... for now. In the hands of Musk, I fear that it would get worse.
I still have a Facebook account, and a twitter account. I almost never post on either, and stay away from all the toxic political stuff. The younger members of my family seem to use it in place of a telephone, or writing letters though, so...

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think it's hilarious that people on Twitter think their tweets are going to change the world. It obviously has some influence, but the more you're on there the more you realize it's just the far left and far right yelling at each other and all others don't matter. And there's more dipshits than you ever thought possible.

I avoid politics on there and use it mostly to get basketball (Go Zags!), football and baseball news and highlights.

It is good for breaking news, but even something horrendous and meaningful is gone within 4 or 5 hours if some rapper dude drops a song or, just as likely, dies. Or...someone like Musk decides to soak us with bots.

dflett68

Steelhead
i'm curious what @swimmy sees as "the thread". my take:

twitter is us. it is a small group of people recognizing us for who we are and manipulating and feeding our weakness, fear, and appetite as individual humans and as groups. that's the thread i see. and i think it runs through the other platforms, media, our local and federal governments, large employers, the educational system, et al. i'm a total agnostic now but my background makes me see an archetype of the old metaphor of demonic motivations - fear and appetite. the screwtape letters without the fantasy of the supernatural.

it's a food chain. gold somehow rolls uphill, and shit rolls down.

as with a zillion other things, all we would have to do is say no to take the air right out of it. but also like a zillion other things, we can't see through it and agree on what we are looking at. plus we are busy following prompts from our masters and attacking each other.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
If you don't already understand why someone who shares my perspective sees twitter as rotten, you never will.

Arguing about it is a waste of energy.

dflett68

Steelhead
If you don't already understand why someone who shares my perspective sees twitter as rotten, you never will.

Arguing about it is a waste of energy.
i didn't expect to be arguing at all. i was curious about what you meant.

Divad

Whitefish
‘member when you’d be banned talking about how Covid came from a lab? Or any notation to a certain laptop…the beauty for tech is law makers are old (no disrespect). Lagging in the digital era by a good decade. Just watch the FB trials before you argue that.

I helped draw datasets for a similar devil for a couple yrs. It’s all dirty, nothing is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.