SFR Turning up the heat

Sorta fishing-related

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Looks like Governor Inslee is getting sued over his recent commission appointees...
It might be pretty interesting digging into the background of the hiring process.

Personally I would think they have a pretty good case🤔

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Well, there’s that and the income tax, disguised as capitol gains…in direct violation of the state constitution. Did you vote for him?

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
King County rules this state, and always will until population centers change dramatically.

Last edited:

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You haven’t done anything except pass on some good information for people like us. Some just can’t help themselves
I’d imagine their Facebook feed is a dumpster fire
I just like calling bullshit when warranted

kerrys

Ignored Member
Well, there’s that and the income tax, disguised as capitol gains…in direct violation of the state constitution. Did you vote for him?
No. And I didn’t vote for the other guy either.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter

I think this can be a reasonable discussion that does not have to involve politics. Regardless of the politician making them, if in the end the appointments don’t represent “a balance reflecting all aspects of fish and wildlife, including representation recommended by organized groups representing sportfishers, commercial fishers, hunters, private landowners, and environmentalists”. than they should be called out. If the full panel does and one special interest group files a frivolous lawsuit, they should be called out. Of course, called out means court because there is a lot of interpretation and ambiguity in that statement.

I don’t know who is on the panel or what special interest they represent from that list. Ideally, all should represent all those interests equally. My guess is that this is not the case and because one interest is unbalanced in favor of another, they are going to court. In the past, the environmentalist side of the spectrum likely did the same thing. Can’t solve anything without lawyer involved these days. Man it would be nice if a group of folks could get in a room and work things out like adults.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I'm going to attempt to steer my thread back to the importance of why I posted it. Let's looks at the mission statement of the commission:

"The Commission establishes policies to preserve, protect, and perpetuate fish, wildlife, and ecosystems while providing sustainable fish and wildlife recreational and commercial opportunities compatible with healthy and diverse fish and wildlife populations. The Commission consists of nine governor-appointed members that serve six-year terms, hold meetings and hearings around the state and offer opportunities for the public to weigh in on fish and wildlife issues."

Now there is an issue that is very near to my heart since I grew up roaming south east Washington and that is the health of the Blue Mountain elk herd. This herd is at a 30 year low. Calf survival is pitiful. The herd by all means appears at extreme risk of collapse.

When faced with this issue Lorna Smith on the commission who was recently hired by Inslee basically said maybe everyone should just get use to lower numbers of elk. Does this go with the mission statement above? Now the regional biologists didn't say that due to forage or what not. I would really like to know how much time Lorna Smith has spent in the Blue Mountains to make that blanket statement.

As a hunter I've given up on ever drawing a Blue Mountain bull tag. The odds are once in a lifetime at this point. I am not motivated by wanting to hunt elk down there. I'm spreading the word because it's clear Lorna and a few others have zero business being on the commission for this state. That blanket statement about just get use to less elk was all I needed to hear. And I hope the lawsuit proves that...

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I think this can be a reasonable discussion that does not have to involve politics.
As much as I love this little community of ours, I'll be very surprised if this is the case. Some folks just can't help themselves. They are addicted to "pwning the libs/MAGAs". As if arguing and insulting people on the internet ever accomplished anything other than making enemies out of those who could be friends.

Shad

Life of the Party
Can those appointees be fired for any reason ?
They're not employees; they are appointees, so they aren't hired or fired. Once appointed (by a governor), they serve at the pleasure of the Legislature. Inslee put a couple decent (or at least less hostile to recreation) folks up there years ago, but they, like so many, quit or were not confirmed by the Legislature. Seems only the pro-commercial, anti-recreation sorts stick around very long, and lately, they seem to be all that's getting appointed.

Hunting and fishing (at least for larger game and fish) is rapidly dwindling in this state, and it's not politically expedient to go against that tide. Bad situation, for sure.