Tuna 2022, let the games begin!

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I came down with a brutal stomach bug while on the water yesterday. Took today off, and naturally comething cool happens out there.

Possibly the first one ever caught in WA waters

View attachment 35812 Is that a short billed spearfish. WTF?! That thing belongs in Kona, not Westprt Washington!

WTF?! is that a short billed spearfish? That thing belongs in Kona, NOT Washington State!

Edit: Mems beat me to it.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Not something I will forget anytime soon. The volume, power, and resonance of that breath was unlike anything I've heard in a living thing. The only analogy of similar magnitude I can think of is a steam locomotive. Even that falls short.
Yeah, the intake of breath and being able to see the blowholes was amazing.

And that spearfish. What the heck?

Bagman

Steelhead
WTF?! is that a short billed spearfish? That thing belongs in Kona, NOT Washington State!

Edit: Mems beat me to it.
I have a spear, and dagger tipped with a bill from a spearfish, I found out that the Hawaiians were the only Stone Age people that used a dagger, which is only good fore one thing ” killing other people”. I forget how long it would take for the bills to dry before they were hard enough to be used but it was a lot of years in the Hawaii sun. Maybe Mems will tell us how long they use to dry them.

mems

Steelhead
Don’t know how long it took to dry out but the bills I have kept last a long time. I have a friend who put a blue Marlin bill on a Koa base and lacquered it and uses it for bills paid in full.
Leiomano is the art of making weapons from shark teeth. Literally means lei of the shark. Often fitted on various koa clubs but also adorned daggers, knives, clubs and spears. Shark teeth weapons were used across the pacific.
In order to date fishing sites they use the fish hooks that are found. The simpler the hook the older the site, the more barbs and more elaborate the more modern the site. A result of fishing pressure and the need for improved technology. It is one of the only items that survives, other artifacts being organic and decomposing.

Bagman

Steelhead
Don’t know how long it took to dry out but the bills I have kept last a long time. I have a friend who put a blue Marlin bill on a Koa base and lacquered it and uses it for bills paid in full.
Leiomano is the art of making weapons from shark teeth. Literally means lei of the shark. Often fitted on various koa clubs but also adorned daggers, knives, clubs and spears. Shark teeth weapons were used across the pacific.
In order to date fishing sites they use the fish hooks that are found. The simpler the hook the older the site, the more barbs and more elaborate the more modern the site. A result of fishing pressure and the need for improved technology. It is one of the only items that survives, other artifacts being organic and decomposing.
I have a few of the shark teeth weapons that my wife picked up for me. I also have a small collection of stone, shell, bone, all modern, as well as two prewar Japanese made elephant ivory hooks, that I picked up on my trips to the islands. I’ve been told that the island people used the bones of their ancestors to make fish hooks, Mems have you heard or do you know anything about this?

mems

Steelhead
Professor Sinoto, UH Manoa and Bishop Museum is the authority on Polynesian artifacts and history. The Hawaiians used a variety of bones to make their hooks. Pig and human bones were the primary sources with the pelvis and thigh bones being preferred. They also make lures with cowry shells to catch tako, octopus. Being a History teacher here in Hawaii for 40 years you pick up some interesting information. The Hawaiians would have loved some 4x Gamagatsu octopus hooks and power pro. Imagine hand lining a 200lb ahi with sennet, cordage made from coconut fibers. That is why they are called ahi, fire. Because when the fish hit it bows straight down and burns your hands like fire, you yell “AHI “
They have a very utilitarian language.

Bagman

Steelhead
Professor Sinoto, UH Manoa and Bishop Museum is the authority on Polynesian artifacts and history. The Hawaiians used a variety of bones to make their hooks. Pig and human bones were the primary sources with the pelvis and thigh bones being preferred. They also make lures with cowry shells to catch tako, octopus. Being a History teacher here in Hawaii for 40 years you pick up some interesting information. The Hawaiians would have loved some 4x Gamagatsu octopus hooks and power pro. Imagine hand lining a 200lb ahi with sennet, cordage made from coconut fibers. That is why they are called ahi, fire. Because when the fish hit it bows straight down and burns your hands like fire, you yell “AHI “
They have a very utilitarian language.
This is one of my octopus lures. I was told by a friend from Tonga that the shell was to represent a rat. “The store goes that a rat needed to get to a different island but was afraid of the sharks, and the octopus gave him a ride on his head to the other island, after getting to the new island the rat shit on the octopus’s head and jump to safety and ran away. From then on all of the octopus hates rats.“

Attachments

• F50D01A1-2AF7-46A8-833D-0171D0EAE170.jpeg
    F50D01A1-2AF7-46A8-833D-0171D0EAE170.jpeg
    727.3 KB · Views: 21

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So is a spearfish fair game on a fly rod or is this something that you would regret hooking?

Bagman

Steelhead
I have watch marlin hooked and landed on a fly rod, not just once. So I’m guessing a spearfish can be done as well, but you better have some backing and a lot of time. One of the marlins was foul hooked and took almost 3 hours to get close enough to the boat to release it safely.

mems

Steelhead
They are great fun on a fly rod. Problem is having them in numbers to tease in and do bait and switch to get them. Kevin Nakamaru has set some world records for spearfish on his boat Northern Lights. Wanda Taylor set a record with Kevin and Jake Jordan. They are so rare they and swordfish are considered the most difficult bill fish to catch on fly.
I got one about 60lbs on a popper on a 12wt about 15 years ago. It jumped and cartwheeled and was a great fight. They usually run 20-80lbs.
Now of course Guy will be trolling a Trey Combs pink popper next season get one.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They are great fun on a fly rod. Problem is having them in numbers to tease in and do bait and switch to get them. Kevin Nakamaru has set some world records for spearfish on his boat Northern Lights. Wanda Taylor set a record with Kevin and Jake Jordan. They are so rare they and swordfish are considered the most difficult bill fish to catch on fly.
I got one about 60lbs on a popper on a 12wt about 15 years ago. It jumped and cartwheeled and was a great fight. They usually run 20-80lbs.
Now of course Guy will be trolling a Trey Combs pink popper next season get one.

That one ate a purple clone, so I would imagine they eat squid flies. That's what I'm typically dragging and casting.

wetline dave

Steelhead
What a beautiful creature! I would have released it just like I released a measured 64 inch chrome bright king hooked on Oct., 31 in area 11 in the Sound. By eying its girth it may have well been one of the largest sport caught kings in Puget Sound. When working at Westport i netted a few high 40 pounders and this sucker was way bigger in my mind. My guess at the time was high to mid 60's maybe pushing 70 as it had some girth that I did not measure but belly to back was nearly 24 inches maybe more and wide.

There are some things you eat and some things you let live and hope they multiply and you get to see their off spring or at least future generations are awarded the privilege.

Want to remember take a good photo and a quick tape pull and have a replica done in plastic and hang it on the wall. It will last longer and look better over time.

If you just want your name in the record book then here's to your ego my middle finger salute.

Dave