Trout Spey taper

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Check with Denwor54 (active member), he might be able to help you out.

Mike

Kado

Steelhead
I built a spliced three piece rod I enjoy using on the Yak and for src on the beaches. If I remember correctly, I think I have a 250 grain SA integrated head on it. I am by NO means a professional builder and did it mainly out of curiosity. I later built a three piece 4/5 wt doublehander and had some luck on the Rogue with small steelhead (and one that was definitely too much fish for the rod). If you're interested, I would definitely recommend trying it out before you put all that work into building it. I used Hexrod and adapted some existing tapers to come up with them. Denwor54 does MUCH nicer work than mine as does Mike M. I'm a mediocre caster....so my bar for success is probably lower than most : ).
Unfortunately the Classic Rod Forum didn't have much experience with light tapers for trout spey.

A big disadvantage of bamboo two handers is they don't travel well. I tried making a four piece and it was a disaster.
Because the sections are taped, I have to completely reel in my line and untape so it would fit in my vehicle, then retape at the next run.....sort of a pain in the ass. Anyway.,...just a thought. Nothing beats bamboo once you have a fish on though! Maybe fiberglass is close....
Best of luck,
Mark

Great thanks for the info ,this will be my first bamboo build,have made over a 100 normal rods so the finish work is easy the cane work is the tougher part but I have access to a bamboo rod shop with a lot of help from the owner. I also have 8 bamboo Spey rods currently but the smallest is a 5/6 wt so you can see the need for a smaller rod and it is going to be a one piece rod as well,i know that sounds weird but it will fit in my car and boat just fine I really like one piece rods.I checked with Classic fly forem and Spey pages with no responses. I will check with a few members here and see what happens thanks Justin

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I just talked with Justin and will do what I can to help with my limited knowledge. From what I have experienced so far if the taper is good for a line weight just figure out the difference between line weights in dimension. I will forward to Justin my tapers and hopefully he can make the that work for lighter line weights. I just finished splices and fit up a 12 1/2 6/7 weight and it feels like a winner.

Kado

Steelhead
Great thanks for the info ,this will be my first bamboo build,have made over a 100 normal rods so the finish work is easy the cane work is the tougher part but I have access to a bamboo rod shop with a lot of help from the owner. I also have 8 bamboo Spey rods currently but the smallest is a 5/6 wt so you can see the need for a smaller rod and it is going to be a one piece rod as well,i know that sounds weird but it will fit in my car and boat just fine I really like one piece rods.I checked with Classic fly forem and Spey pages with no responses. I will check with a few members here and see what happens thanks Justin
I will be interested on how to build a one piece longer than the planing form.....scarf joint? Its always fun to experiment.

I am using my buddies machine that uses taper cams like EC Powell did so you can make any length you want , I made a 12 ft taper cam for a Spey rod I am working on now ,there will be no splices or joints.He has many 12 plus foot bamboo sticks as well which is the hard part to find that long and I just flame tempered them and straightened with different node presses ,only time will tell it all just a learning curve and fun for now.

Kado

Steelhead
Pretty cool. Didn't even know that existed. That would also make the smoothest, strongest spey rod.....
If you get a chance, I'd love to hear if you feel your one piece rods cast smoother than sectioned rods or if you can tell much of a difference vs the portability of a sectioned rod with ferrules.
Long thread wrapping bench : ).

Yes one piece rods fell different / better is the casters opinion and sure there is some hassle with long one piece rods but it will fit in my car just fine . I have some graphite and bamboo one piece rods and really enjoy them ,it is more to try something different than need ,strangely when I wrap long 2/3 piece rods I do it fully assembled so I can wrap up 14 feet long ,when I made my wrapping bench I just move the rod back and forth instead of moving the thread to the new guide ,it just the way I was taught before the internet existed and stuck with it once you get used to it you say with what you know.

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I am using my buddies machine that uses taper cams like EC Powell did so you can make any length you want , I made a 12 ft taper cam for a Spey rod I am working on now ,there will be no splices or joints.He has many 12 plus foot bamboo sticks as well which is the hard part to find that long and I just flame tempered them and straightened with different node presses ,only time will tell it all just a learning curve and fun for now.
It would be neat and most interesting if you could share a couple of pictures and a brief description of how the Taper Cam machine operates if your friend doesn't mind.

Mike

Unfortunately he doesn’t let out off the box very much so no pictures allowed,but the general premise is you make a adjustable aluminum form that is 2 pieces much like a planning form but no grove you operate off the outer edges one edge is straight the other has the taper put in it with adjustable screws. The bamboo dose not rest on the cam it sits above it on a flat bat ,you push the cam and bamboo in at the same time the cam runs on wheels and pushes the cutter head up and puts the taper in bamboo very cool machine .Ec Powell,Jim Schaff and a few other California builders had simular machines. I have been in 10/12 other bamboo rod shops and have never seen anything like it.If you know anyone with the EC Powell book there might be some pictures in it,sorry he has specifically asked not to use his name and location.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
"If you know anyone with the EC Powell book there might be some pictures in it."
If by the EC Powell book you mean A Fly Rod With a Soul by Per Brandin then yes there are 2 photos and a very general description but nothing that will get you even close to understanding the intricacies of the thing.