Trash fish?

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
He has a degree in fisheries biology which he proudly claims he has never used. His videos are hilarious!

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Thanks for sharing, great vid! I wish more people thought along the lines of the guy in the video. Maybe not exactly the same topic as “trash fish” but I see some disgusting acts during salmon season. I remember seeing a local boat guy off a popular beach last year throw back a native king while cursing. He flung it by the gills so aggressively I saw blood squirting out of the throat while it was in the air. He had his two sons on the boat with him, what a great example for your kids. Lots of unclipped fish get the boot kick back to the water too. Like dude are you too out of shape and lazy to bend down and put it in the water like a decent human being? Makes me mad and disappointed every time.

BDD

Steelhead
I just watched that video this evening. For the most part, I find his videos entertaining, if not educational in some aspects, particularly on the regional differences of our fisheries. Some of the fish in this video I was not even familiar with so it was nice getting his perspective on those. I had no problem with him calling brown trout "trash fish" and I could almost see it coming at the end. I'm not sure any fish should have that label as most, if not all serve some purpose, at least from an ecological perspective.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Thanks for sharing, great vid! I wish more people thought along the lines of the guy in the video. Maybe not exactly the same topic as “trash fish” but I see some disgusting acts during salmon season. I remember seeing a local boat guy off a popular beach last year throw back a native king while cursing. He flung it by the gills so aggressively I saw blood squirting out of the throat while it was in the air. He had his two sons on the boat with him, what a great example for your kids. Lots of unclipped fish get the boot kick back to the water too. Like dude are you too out of shape and lazy to bend down and put it in the water like a decent human being? Makes me mad and disappointed every time.

It will be even worse this summer.
SF

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I liked that he made some points regarding native fish - in their native ranges. I think he's overlooking an important aspect of that however when he calls for restoring native cutthroat where brown trout have been stocked and taken over. Unfortunately for native species, we have permanently modified a lot of habitat so that it no longer meets the life history needs of native species. Fish management seldom gets to make environmental decisions, and are left with the habitat as it is. In those cases, brown trout or other species may be the only fish that can tolerate the modified habitat that formerly supported native cutthroat. Agencies do seem to be doing a pretty good job of restoring native trout where it is feasible.

Smalma

Life of the Party
Liked the emphasis on the native species! I was surprised that of the freshwater groups of fish I had actually caught representatives of 12 of them with a total of 19 different species.

It is also interesting in how anglers' opinion of certain species changes over time. Am old enough to remember the majority of the anglers on our rivers put bull trout/Dolly Varden within the trash fish category. Thankfully that has largely changed.

curt

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ben himself was all about browns back in the Drake days. He was catching some massive fish on a regular basis.