NFR Train physics question

Non-fishing related

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
From my office near the mighty Columbia river I can see the railroad running up both sides. I've noticed that almost every train has either engines in the middle or at the rear end helping the lead engine, sometimes both. What I'm wondering is if that rear engine is pushing some cars and the lead engine is pulling some cars, is there a car or cars in the middle that are basically floating? As in getting a little push and a little pull? I'm sure this is a silly question, but for some reason my mind just won't accept an obvious answer.

Follow up: If its more efficient to pull than to push why they don't break it into 2 trains and just pull on both? Aerodynamics? Simplicity?

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I was told years back that on higher slope tracks they put an engine in the back to lessen the stress on the couplers. E.g. when one engine is pulling up the hill, there's twice as much stress on the couplers than when there's also an engine pushing. Helps reduce stress.

I don't know, it made sense to me so I stopped looking for answers.

I have to imagine it helps going downhill as well, having extra control/help at the back end.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Just a guess and a completely uneducated one at that. Perhaps it takes only one engine to get them up to speed but two to slow them down if necessary.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So the rear engine is pushing the last car, but the last car is still being pulled by the second to last car?

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
If you guessed "Distributed Power", you are correct.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Do they have to be pulling and pushing the exact same? ie, what happens if the rear engine is pushing harder than the front is pulling, wouldn't this cause buckling? Or if the front is pulling harder than the rear is pushing, wouldn't his cause the middle and end cars to want to straighten on a curve? (this has kept me awake at night for many years).

cheers

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Do they have to be pulling and pushing the exact same? ie, what happens if the rear engine is pushing harder than the front is pulling, wouldn't this cause buckling? Or if the front is pulling harder than the rear is pushing, wouldn't his cause the middle and end cars to want to straighten on a curve? (this has kept me awake at night for many years).

cheers
It's called software...like what's in your phone.

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
It's called software...like what's in your phone.
I believe they've been push/pulling for a lot longer than software for this, though I could be wrong (it does occasionally happen).

cheers

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I believe they've been push/pulling for a lot longer than software for this, though I could be wrong (it does occasionally happen).

cheers
Beginning in the 1960s, mid-train distributed power units – DPU – and pushers have been operated using radio signals. Southern Railway pioneered this technology, adopting an early form of Locotrol...Originally, the electronics were placed in a separate railcar as the equipment was bulky and generally did not fit inside a standard locomotive cab or nose. Over time, the radio gear was condensed into relatively small cabinets, with most of the functions being controlled by software.

In fact, some railroads have gone even further and have implemented advanced systems that use sophisticated algorithms and computer software to optimize the train’s performance and reduce fuel consumption.

Okay...go to sleep now.

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Beginning in the 1960s, mid-train distributed power units – DPU – and pushers have been operated using radio signals. Southern Railway pioneered this technology, adopting an early form of Locotrol...Originally, the electronics were placed in a separate railcar as the equipment was bulky and generally did not fit inside a standard locomotive cab or nose. Over time, the radio gear was condensed into relatively small cabinets, with most of the functions being controlled by software.

In fact, some railroads have gone even further and have implemented advanced systems that use sophisticated algorithms and computer software to optimize the train’s performance and reduce fuel consumption.

Okay...go to sleep now.

Ahhh, that's a relief, it's been years of restlessness over this.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter

Okay...go to sleep now.
DPU technology has been around for a long time, but the incorporation if Variable Frequency AC drive in locomotives have revolutionized remote power units.