Trailer guide posts?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Anyone use those PVC covered trailer guide posts? More importantly, has anyone added them to a trailer using one of the kits that are out there? Something like this:

Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 9.41.47 AM.png

95% of the time, I'm loading/unloading my boat (bow line, not drive on) myself and it's a hassle to get it lined up right when loading if there is much wind. I thought a set of these might help.

CRO

Steelhead
I have a set of these. They not only center the boat on the trailer but keep your lights out of the water. Useful if you fish salt a lot.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I use roller posts on my boat trailer. It helps immensely when it's breezy and/or i'm by myself.

1689530538585.png

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Side bunks work well too. Also easy to add. The rollers make a lot of noise underway. At least mine did.
Yeah, I was wondering what the functional difference was between some side bunks and those guide posts.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I use roller posts on my boat trailer. It helps immensely when it's breezy and/or i'm by myself.

View attachment 73110
I have these rollers in addition to side bunks.
Makes loading my jet a whole lot easier, especially in areas with some current.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I added the PVC guide-ons to a trailer/aluminum boat combo I once owned and they helped immensely while single handed. We’ll worth it, I’d recommend them.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
can't see my side bunks on an empty trailer when backing up..so a 1" x 8' schedule 40, coupla caps, coupla of fittings, coupla u-bolts, a hex head screw below the u-bolts acting as a keeper...the orange sprayed caps highly visible in the rear view mirror when backing up...also excellent at 'corraling' the boat onto the submerged trailer...$20 and an hour of work
IMG_20220927_220436987_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Last edited:

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I’ve got side bunks on my sled trailer and couldn’t live without em. So long as I hook the bow on the downstream side bunk and hammer down there is almost no way to not end up where I need to be on the trailer. I cant recall ever loading it without powering onto the trailer but it would be automatic I would think, wind or current be damned. Adding the vertical posts like above if I couldn’t see my trailer would be an option I’d consider, but I use my side mirrors to back a trailer and it’s not a problem like that. I’ve had boats in the past that were tough to load, it’s a PITD and worth trying to remedy.

Russell

Steelhead
Amazon product ASIN B01CQ22BOC
I bought these galvanized ones and they work great for my whaler. Mainly for backing my trailer without the boat on. I cannot see the boat trailer behind my truck unless I lower the tailgait and I just cannot get backing with the screen and camera. I can now see the posts. Also really helps with the wind and tides while loading. These were made in USA

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Side bunks are very handy. My last two boats have had them and it sure makes things easier in several ways.

I drive a pretty big truck and with the boat off the trailer I can't see the trailer out of my rear window or even the mirrors very well. My solution has always been just to lower the tailgate so I can put eyes on it.

Not saying this applies to you Josh, but one of the biggest mistakes I see at boat launches all the time is people putting their trailer in too deep. Unless you specifically need the depth for the type of hull/trailer, if the stern of your boat us floating and swinging around over the top of trailer it's too deep. Just a general thought.

Nothing like watching a crew back the trailer in super deep and one guy wades out to his chest in waders and then fights the swinging stern for 10 minutes trying to center the boat.

When I retrieve my boat I like to back it in until the front of the boat glides on about 3/4 or so of the way up the trailer. At this point its almost fully sitting on the bunks but there's still enough water that winching it up isn't a struggle, but it doesn't go off center since the back end is always on the bunks. Slowly motor up, cut and raise the motor right about when the bow meets the trailer, and wherever it stops I hop off the bow, hook up the strap, and use the winch for the last little bit. All boats/trailers are different of course, but this has worked well for me on my smaller boats as well as the 33' deep V I run on the ocean.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have them for a 14’ skiff. If I can get the bow in front of one of them I can get the boat loaded straight in the wind. Pretty happy with them. Also if launching in the dark with my tinted windows I can see the lights atop the poles which is helpful.

Last edited: