Today on the local ditch

I am typically not one to say names of where I'm at or any such specifics. But I'll make an exception here just due to the nature of this program and how infrequently I do it.

I live about 15min from the Sandy River. It is a similar thing to me that the Skykomish was for me when I lived up in King County: A gorgeous river that is an easy escape, but rarely do I expect catching a fish. The Sandy is even a step more special in my opinion. Despite it lacking the jagged mountain peak scenery that the Skykomish does, it doesn't have a highway going along it for most the floats I do. So once you're in there, it's like you've entered a whole different wilderness world. I've loved having that in my back yard since living here.

While I have indeed floated a different section multiple times in the last year for salmon, today was my first time back to this particular section since Covid lockdown 2020 when all the parks/boat launches were closed. Since I have a Commander, my buddy and I would drag the boats a quarter mile to launch and fish this section by ourselves. It was one of the most special experiences I've ever had winter steelhead fishing. Caught fish every trip and never saw a soul.

Today, I returned for the first time in 2yrs along with @WhosYourShaddy -

main reasons for not doing this in 2yrs:
  1. I have decided to severely limit my time targeting winter steelhead due to poor returns. So even when I do go, my effort is not what it used to be.
  2. This is a serious float. As @WhosYourShaddy said today: "It feels almost irresponsible to do this in these small boats."
The rapids in this float are no joke. The wave trains and boulder gardens are serious, and your boat gets swamped in multiple places. Despite full rain gear, I got plenty wet. Thankfully, my boxers stayed dry and didn't have to change the underwear ;) Despite the difficulty level of rowing this float, it is extremely fun and honestly my main draw along with the unbelievable scenery. When I go up here, it's more to enjoy the float and make a few casts while I'm there. My mind is mostly on how amazing the place is and less on getting a steelhead.

You launch immediately in to a fairly technical boulder patch, and it doesn't stop until you get past the infamous pipeline rapid. The Pipeline Rapid will get you good and wet if you're in a small boat like this.
1647825489282.png

As you can clearly see, the place is a complete dump:
1647825570687.png

1647825605699.png
1647825643065.png

Obligatory beverage shot:
1647825688170.png

Obviously, getting exciting pics of all the fun boulder gardens and rapids is hard to do with oars in your hands, but here's @WhosYourShaddy getting rodeo'd by some very large wave trains. I've always been disappointed with how little a camera seems to be able to capture the real power of a river like this.
1647825801898.png

And for the really fun part! So on my last trip through this section 2yrs ago, my buddy accompanying me then snapped his oar. I was able to doctor something back together by making a splint for him and we made it through. So leaving the house today, I thought to pack some supplies in case such an event happened again. Which I expertly left in the truck. So naturally, my buddy today ALSO snapped his oar. Thankfully, he did it right after the very last tricky rapid, about halfway through the float. But at this point, the temp was dropping and we were getting cold, so our motivation to fish was waning a bit. My hands were also losing their dexterity and tying knots was hard. But we mended it back together by sacrificing some sink tips and a spool of 15lb Maxima!

1647826088569.png
1647826118711.png

We made it safely back to the takeout. It got MUCH colder as the day went on, and we weren't quite ready for it. So we pushed through the lower part of the float and just enjoyed the rowing and scenery. It's actually kind of cathartic in a way to just enjoy a float without any pressure or goal of catching a fish. No real stress or anticipation... Just enjoying the place.

Thanks for reading!

(Disclaimer: Please heed my warnings on the advanced nature of this float. If you decide to go up there and you haven't done it before, I advise researching or hitting me up first. It is not for beginners, or even some intermediate rowers.)

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Love that section of the river. That launch is fast, caught me unawares getting ready to break out of the channel into the Pipeline I didn’t pay attention to the big rock just below the launch that you can just see the top of, shown in your first picture. Went over it sideways in my cat and almost dumped my passenger.
Grew up 20 minutes from there.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just out of morbid curiosity, how did the oar get broken? Did it get sandwiched between a couple of rocks, dig bottom while drifting sideways, fail on a hard stroke, or…..?

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Looks like a really cool float.
Breaking an oar sucks. Breaking an oar with your spare (or gear to fix) in the truck sucks worse. Had that happen on the methow in the canyon. Wasn't awesome. Lesson learned....

Last edited:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Nobody fishes that stretch, it's too popular
I did forget the #3 reason I haven't been up there in a long time, and it's along those lines. While not "crowded" by today's steelhead standards, there are 4-5 guides up there just about every fishable day that will take every good run. Prior to covid lockdown, I had two floats in a row where I didn't get to fish a single spot I wanted to fish and it kind of bummed me out. Main reason why I just go and enjoy the float now. Shifting priorities.

The river shallowed up before a rapid and I was rowing backwards and the paddle hit a rock as I pulled back. Thankfully the paddle floated into the center of the boat.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
The river shallowed up before a rapid and I was rowing backwards and the paddle hit a rock as I pulled back. Thankfully the paddle floated into the center of the boat.
Are those stock oars? If they’re pinned oars, is an upgrade available?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Is the area where plastic oar blade broke where the aluminum tube inside ends inside?
I’ll need to look at mine to see if there are any cracks.
Nice MacGyver move on the stick splint.
SF

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
These are the stock oars, and there's no upgraded versions I know of.
Sounds like your intuition, or whoever's it was, about that stretch being at the upper limit for the boats was right. I agree, nice splint maneuver. Good to practice splinting an oar rather than a leg.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
It's an obvious weak point on the boats with pinned oars. I also have a Commander and love it. However, when we got our place on the Sol Duc, the first thing I did was buy a Freestone from BDD with the heaview frame and Cataracts. Fit's in the back of the truck just fine but not as portable for hike-ins - feels a lot safer in the rough stuff though.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Sounds like your intuition, or whoever's it was, about that stretch being at the upper limit for the boats was right. I agree, nice splint maneuver. Good to practice splinting an oar rather than a leg.
Oh it's very much at or above the limit for this type of boat and I acknowledge that. It's why I stressed the warnings in my original post.

It's not easy in a larger vessel either as there's some tight squeezes.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I'm always surprised when I see drifters up there. That's going to be a noisy ride, even for guides. It's a damn beautiful stretch of water, for sure.