Tippet spool management

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Let's see: asparagus and butter, asparagus in soup, asparagus on the bbq, steak asparagus and blue cheese, asparagus gumbo, asparagus and shrimp; only six more and I'm set.......
Let’s not forget asparagus gohan, asparagus in miso soup and I’m very fond of sautéed asparagus in an omelette….

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Pickled asparagus….
SF

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Let's see: asparagus and butter, asparagus in soup, asparagus on the bbq, steak asparagus and blue cheese, asparagus gumbo, asparagus and shrimp; only six more and I'm set.......
Roasted asparagus, prosciutto wrapped asparagus Benedict, asparagus & shiitake stir fry, asparagus in fried rice, asparagus crudités, asparagus ice cream (okay, that’s extreme)…

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Produce rubber bands. Thick and blue or green…. Broccoli and asparagus mainly. Also good veggies to eat 😉

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
As others have said, rubber bands are a cheap effective option. If you want a more boujee option for bigger spools, the bands that they use around Smartwool socks packaging are great for larger spools. Nice socks if you need some. A bit on the pricey side but can be found on sale a lot of places.

IMG_4622.jpeg

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
I get it that tippet spools sometimes leave a lot to be desired regarding "management", for me especially Maxima (rubber bands for me) but Ultrawire spools come with a removeable "cap" (for lack a the proper term) that I've found to be good at keeping the wire in place. When tying and I need wire, I remove the cap, cut off a length of wire and run the spool's tag through the caps teeth and put the cap back on while keeping a bit of tension on the wire. Works for me.

View attachment 108602
I have one spool of thread with the cap that you are talking about. I tried looking online for a supplier of the caps so I could get some for my other spools and so far have had no luck.

Though pricey, I did find these:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I have one spool of thread with the cap that you are talking about. I tried looking online for a supplier of the caps so I could get some for my other spools and so far have had no luck.

Though pricey, I did find these:
Bruce - Like Ultra Wire, UTC threads come with the caps.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
British Omelette: Parboiled asparagus (or leftover) with Swiss cheese. Hollandaise if extravagant.