tippet for smallmouth?

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
Hope to get serious about smallmouth fishing on the Snake this year around Lewiston to fill in time between fall steelhead and summer trout. Is there a favorite type of tippet you recommend? I have my stuff for steelhead, 8 to 12# maxima ultragreen, and my tippet for trout, up to 3x in both mono and fluro, but feel like I am missing the in between? I see 0x to 3x in fluro recommended, or mono, but would any mono work? Fluro is so damn expensive.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not necessarily. Check out Seaguar STS in large spools for gear fishermen. Many of us use it for lake fishing and it is very inexpensive. For smallmouth, I use Maxima ultragreen and sometimes the STS. For lake fishing, STS.

Yep
100 yards for like $10 or so where I buy it.
I also like the Blue label.
SF

73D583FD-0085-4DB7-A7A9-3157B1BE781B.jpeg

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’d generally agree with above but I use maxima green 10lb or 8lb.

If I want floro I use p line halo 8lb or 10lb. I think it’s about $25 for 200yds

Sounds like you have the mono covered. I’ll use the floro for fly rod tippet and my spinning rod leader so I’d suggest buy whatever size you think you’d use the most or work for multiple uses.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
10# or 12# Maxima for me.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
What you've got will work fine. I happen to be a fluoro guy myself. STS in 12-15lbs takes care of my needs.