Tightline/ESN Rod suggestions please

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Thanks for all your suggestions, I've been reaching out, got some ideas. May end up with something like 10'6" and/or a 2wt. Not quite where I started but learning more. Still thinking I may need to go try. Whatever I figure out I'll put this on it. Just as I got him wore out ring ring.20240126_151147.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I was noticing how beat up the cork is on my CBXL yesterday, and thinking about all the things I've talked to folks about, and decided I really just don't know enough yet or have enough experience to make a decision. Decided just to replace what I got with an order for the Echo Shadow 2 from Red's. I'll screw on the glued together fighting butt from my Stillwater, and it should weigh a hair less than I'm used to and balance well with the new reel. I'll see if I like faster action and notice a more sensitive feel. And if I break it, warranty, with backup. I don't abuse my gear so would not feel bad about a claim. And if I do something stupid, $40.

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Well, that tip sure looks skinny! Balanced out just ahead of the swell with a fighting butt and 2 large weights. We'll see. Somehow feel like Raider fan. Fast shipping.
20240130_132304.jpg

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Well, that tip sure looks skinny! Balanced out just ahead of the swell with a fighting butt and 2 large weights. We'll see. Somehow feel like Raider fan. Fast shipping.
View attachment 101620
Tom, that's what I've fished with for the past 5 or so years and really is a great rod. I've destroyed one FB and another came unscrewed on the bank and I lost it (make sure you tighten it down). I've also broken one tip (my fault!). But over all it's. been a great rod (my only ESN rod so I have nothing to compare it to). It's definitely showing it's use, but like you, I don't know what I'd replace it with (mostly because it's not my favorite style of fishing short of in the Winter).

Enjoy!

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I have really been enjoying fishing the Shadow 2 with the Danielsson dry fly reel. Only today I realized no click, haha. The large arbor is great. My hand naturally likes to sit at the front end of the grip near the blank on this rod, so I took out the 2 weights saving 20 grams. Nice and light in hand. I find it as advertised, noticeably more sensitive. I also notice how quickly it stabilizes (dampens?). My cast precision is improved and I'll say it casts 50% farther . I'm not sure if there is more fish landing power, maybe, but it's been doing fine. No regrets, really happy with it.
20240206_gear.jpg

Last edited: