This shouldn't be happening

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They look like chrome uncleaned fish. Some are headless? So weird. I would think quality fish would be easy to sell or give away. Unless someone was netting illegally.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I used to fish for sturgeon up in the bonneville pool, and would often see gill nets (set nets) that were loaded to the point the floats were barely above water. Couple more fish and they would all be wasted. It sounds like this may still be happening. The dead fish can't soak in the river forever and still be good food.
Trappers have to attach an ID to their traps, and the law requires that the traps be checked every 24 hours. I don't know if there is such a law associated with these tribal set nets, but there should be, along with some enforcement effort.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hey, since this is a "net" thread, I've always had a few questions...

1. How much money does non-tribal netting actually generate?
2. How many full-time jobs does non-tribal netting actually support?
3. Is non-tribal netting a "leg of the stool" of sorts for hatcheries and non-tribal consumption, where if it were to go away, sport angling and consumption would go soon after?

I have never seen any hard numbers on the economy it generates . Occasionally on ifish, it is discussed, and I think it's mostly a part-time job for some people. It's something that doesn't even happen every year. I just can't imagine that it has nearly the economic impact as sport-fishing does, but no-one ever seems to come out and say it. Buying out the remaining netters seems like a no-brainer, but it just drags on and on.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I grew up on the Lower Columbia, in a town where they had a fairly large (non tribal) gill netting community. All of the people that gill net on the lower C have other jobs, or they fish in other fisheries at other times of the year. The seasons are too limited for this to be your only source of income. Personally, I have no problem with people making a living commercial fishing, but in the environment we have where we ask only one user group to fish in a way that can actually protect the wild component of the fishery, while allowing another group to use a method that has a much lower survivability rate for the wild bycatch, needs to be regulated in a way that puts the fishery first. Not the tribes, not the state, not the sports fishery, but the thing that cannot be brought back if we kill it.... the fish.

G_Smolt

Legend
Hey, since this is a "net" thread, I've always had a few questions...

1. How much money does non-tribal netting actually generate?
2. How many full-time jobs does non-tribal netting actually support?
3. Is non-tribal netting a "leg of the stool" of sorts for hatcheries and non-tribal consumption, where if it were to go away, sport angling and consumption would go soon after?

I have never seen any hard numbers on the economy it generates . Occasionally on ifish, it is discussed, and I think it's mostly a part-time job for some people. It's something that doesn't even happen every year. I just can't imagine that it has nearly the economic impact as sport-fishing does, but no-one ever seems to come out and say it. Buying out the remaining netters seems like a no-brainer, but it just drags on and on.

This is the most recent one I am aware of.