Rod Building The Rod Building Thread

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just a headsup:
I used a dark thread trim band under lighter wraps, burying it before doing one more band at the end. It didn't show through until I put the finish on the wrap...now a varicose vein as a reminder not to do it again....hopefully posting this saves others from making the same mistake.

rod wrap v vein.jpg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Just a headsup:
I used a dark thread trim band under lighter wraps, burying it before doing one more band at the end. It didn't show through until I put the finish on the wrap...now a varicose vein as a reminder not to do it again....hopefully posting this saves others from making the same mistake.

View attachment 111644
Thanks for the heads up!

Just a headsup:

View attachment 111644
Just looks like a build "style" element. I have seen this done on purpose. You can even use it instead of the alignment dot.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
What do you guys do to mark/sign your rods? My first build, I didn't write anything on it. But this one I'm working on now (just mounted the cork and taped the guides), I'd at least like to get the rod blank name on it.

thanks!
tim

Divad

Whitefish
What do you guys do to mark/sign your rods? My first build, I didn't write anything on it. But this one I'm working on now (just mounted the cork and taped the guides), I'd at least like to get the rod blank name on it.

thanks!
tim
I first bought custom labels online, then I bought a calligraphy pen. Tried all the tips and found one I liked from the kit. Then lightly sanded down the tip to not be so sharp and use Testors Silver Paint. If you get other colors they don’t flow correctly and you’ll have to mix in thinners. The silver and gold flow really nice on one of these pens.

https://a.co/d/ilTR7hs