The right line for Leonard 66H

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I fished an old Rio Mainstream WF6F that was spooled on my old Pflueger and it really loaded the medium fast rod well at todays fishing distances. A 5 fishes fine w/ more line out and is more delicate, but this line felt, ahh.., much better.
20230608_rod.jpg
Fished weighted streamers well and mended the best of any line I've fished on it yet.
20230608_muddler.jpg
Also worked well to fish a beadhead grhe and a elk hair caddis up and across with great control.
20230608_flies.jpgNot fancy but just beautiful. The 3 opposing nodes are attractive.
20230608_stripper.jpg
20230608_feu.jpg
Just really enjoy fishing bamboo (and glass) a bit more than carbon. I don't find it any more fatiguing than fishing the ESN rod. Progressive action and swelled butt for extra muscle when needed.
20230608_fish.jpg
For some reason this reel just seems like a natural fit in a gratuitous fish pic.
20230608_player.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I fished an old Rio Mainstream WF6F that was spooled on my old Pflueger and it really loaded the medium fast rod well at todays fishing distances. A 5 fishes fine w/ more line out and is more delicate, but this line felt, ahh.., much better.
View attachment 68158
Fished weighted streamers well and mended the best of any line I've fished on it yet.
View attachment 68159
Also worked well to fish a beadhead grhe and a elk hair caddis up and across with great control.
View attachment 68160Not fancy but just beautiful. The 3 opposing nodes are attractive.
View attachment 68161
View attachment 68162
Just really enjoy fishing bamboo (and glass) a bit more than carbon. I don't find it any more fatiguing than fishing the ESN rod. Progressive action and swelled butt for extra muscle when needed.
View attachment 68163
For some reason this reel just seems like a natural fit in a gratuitous fish pic.
View attachment 68164

Be careful with those cone headed flies. It's a great way to damage a rod. Particularly the small tip section.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Be careful with those cone headed flies. It's a great way to damage a rod. Particularly the small tip section.
Noted. I bonked myself in the back of the head with the bead head, so I can see that. I did buy it to fish but I don't need to be reckless.