The oldest rod you regularly use?

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I forgot, I also have a 9'6" 9wt built from a powell or fisher fiberglass blank built for my father by a well known local angler and writer. I hooked my very first winter steelhead on it, very briefly. Haven't used it in years either.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Those bamboo rods look so 'organic'...sad to say, have never tried one.
First fly rod, late 60's, was a Shakespere glass paired with a Phlueger Medallion. Have no idea what happened to it.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
One I still use, my favorite 6 weight, is a 9’-6” Scott G. Don’t know the age as I bought it used, from a fly shop on the Internet. Anyone know when they started the G series? It’s a custom build, 2- piece. I have the blank number on the tube but the rod itself isn’t marked. When I called Scott the guy I spoke with, Moose, said that was one of his favorites; it’s certainly mine. I have several older, but don’t fish often: a Fenwick glass in 8’-6” for #7, a Fenwick combo spin/fly in 6‘ that’s a nice little small creek rod, an older Eagle Claw Glass in 7’, an Orvis 8’-6” for 5 Limestone, a Kennedy I forget what, an Orvis Salmon 10’ for 9 weight I’ve never cast. A Powell Chico era LTSH 9’-6” in 7/8 that I used a lot for single-hand spey before getting 2-handed rods. Believe it’s early generation graphite, 1988 +/-.

Scslat

Anadromous Angler
Forum Supporter
When I was 12 I used a bunch of money I got picking strawberries (first job) to buy a 5wt Orvis silver label. This would have been around 94. I still use it a lot.
I also have an Orvis Silver label, an 844, that I still use. It recently had a crazy trip from getting lost at SeaTac to being found and delivered back into my hands thanks to a business card that I had put into the tube, an honest guy at a resale shop, and my friend who goes by @the_chemist who retrieved it for me. I was very glad to get it back. Lots of sentimental value to me.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
One I still use, my favorite 6 weight, is a 9’-6” Scott G. Don’t know the age as I bought it used, from a fly shop on the Internet. Anyone know when they started the G series? It’s a custom build, 2- piece. I have the blank number on the tube but the rod itself isn’t marked. When I called Scott the guy I spoke with, Moose, said that was one of his favorites; it’s certainly mine. I have several older, but don’t fish often: a Fenwick glass in 8’-6” for #7, a Fenwick combo spin/fly in 6‘ that’s a nice little small creek rod, an older Eagle Claw Glass in 7’, an Orvis 8’-6” for 5 Limestone, a Kennedy I forget what, an Orvis Salmon 10’ for 9 weight I’ve never cast. A Powell Chico era LTSH 9’-6” in 7/8 that I used a lot for single-hand spey before getting 2-handed rods. Believe it’s early generation graphite, 1988 +/-.

I own a Scott G 9’ 5wt-2 piece that was a custom build, that I too bought used. It’s my go to single hand 5.
Also own a Sage RPL 8100-3, bought used and built by ACR with an extended butt for 2 hand casting. I play with it a few times a year. OPST 350grn groove, 10’ 8 wt versitip, likes the single spey better than the snap T.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Boy do I feel better...I thought I was the only one fishing an old rod. I've fished a 1991 Powell LL-9645 since I finished building it in 1991. I bought the blank using money from a $10 bet I made on the Minnesota Twins to win the 1991 World series..it paid 50-1. I bought the kit they sold, with a mounted grip, wrapped it myself. It's been all over the place since then.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I would say my Sage RPL+ 9’6” 7wt. I bought that sucker brand new back in the day from the Avid Angler. It was the first fly rod I’d personally bought. I had a Cortland reel on it that I picked up from Warshal’s downtown. I still fish it in Alaska occasionally, it’s a broom stick!

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Boy do I feel better...I thought I was the only one fishing an old rod. I've fished a 1991 Powell LL-9645 since I finished building it in 1991. I bought the blank using money from a $10 bet I made on the Minnesota Twins to win the 1991 World series..it paid 50-1. I bought the kit they sold, with a mounted grip, wrapped it myself. It's been all over the place since then.
Those Chico era Powells are sweet!

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
A Fenwick FF857 8'6" 7 wt I bought in 1975 at the White Elephant in Spokane. I guess that puts it at 47 years of age. Sweet old rod that I worry about breaking much more than my expensive rods.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I don't have any old rods. Bought my first rod in 1957. It was a fiber glass 9' 6 wt. brand unknown. It got broke walking through the woods over on the dry side. My oldest rod that I use is a TFO 7'9"3wt Finesse rod. Bought about12 years ago.

You got that old bamboo rod Jim......it’s old but it doesn’t count because you haven’t used it yet! This year??

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Good rod! Let me know if you want to part with it ever, it would be cared for and use delicately.
I'd be glad to let you fish it. However I'll never part with it. Dad gave it to me for graduation, I broke it opening day '91 too drunk to fish, and my sobriety started the next day. A few missteps after I first got out of treatment but that was it for me. At a year clean dad had it repaired for me. It's been all over the PNW. I seem to have special days when it goes out.

Last edited:
I do have some rare travelers/flying series rods I keep at my cabin in Colorado. Forget the name, but travel tube comes with 3/4 and 5/6,,,,before they got technical on what load. What use regularly for salmon is my Sage RPLX 8wt. I picked it up brand new from a guy in Florida that said he took it in his boat 3 times but never wanted to harm it with the gear rods so just stowed it away. 20 yr old but new. I know what he meant, this Sage sparkles and when in sun you can read the serial numbers. It has surprising backbone. I ended up finding another identical rod, but not has well condition. Anyway, since this thread is out there, if anyone has any vintage 2 pc fly rods they don't mind parting with to a good caretaker, message me. Specifically looking for an Orvis T3 or Trident TL, or RPLX, 5/6 or 8wt.

I'd be glad to let you fish it. However I'll never part with it. Dad gave it to me for graduation, I broke it opening day '91 too drunk to fish, and my sobriety started the next day. A few missteps after I first got out of treatment but that was it for me. At a year clean dad had it repaired for me. It's been all over the PNW. I seem to have special days when it goes out.
Well Tom, it seems it has good sentimental value, so best you keep casting it. Maybe message when you may be in or around WA fishing one its many fine lakes stocked with jumbos this spring.