The "I got skunked" photo/report thread...

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
I was fishing the Madison River a few miles inside the Park. I had hooked and released an especially nice trout when I heard a tourist couple on the bank a few yards behind me.

”I’ve got the whole thing on video”, the woman said. “Would you like me to send it to you?”

”Sure” I replied, and gave her my email.

Later that day when I returned to the cabin I was staying in near West Yellowstone I saw that I had gotten the email from the tourist, and opened the attached video expecting to see me (skillfully) hooking, fighting and releasing that (great, wild, beautiful, large) trout.

However, there was no video. Just me standing in the Madison at the moment that I had released the fish, and it had swum away out of sight. SIGH!

0BCA59BF-3121-4A3C-A84C-4500A425F078.jpeg

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I got out today for another skunking. I did some stuff around the house in the morning, so I walked to the river to fish the afternoon. I am fortunate that within a mile and half from my front door I have three runs that I have caught multiple fish in, another that is temporarily lost to a large cottonwood blocking wading access, and one more I need to spend more time in. B0901144-3A3E-4072-8A23-190F4209BD98.jpeg
This is “Snowman”. I fished it for 2 years, never saw anyone else in it, but it looked and swung good. I’ve landed a few here now, and I’ve seen others in it.
This view isn’t bad, but over my left shoulder on the opposite bank is a large homeless camp….urban fishing

I did have one eat that initially felt like steel, but felt trouty at the end. I still went back up and switched flies.35B8324D-98A6-4B76-A1F2-85C216BA9E7A.jpeg
I did land one smolt as I reeled in at the bottom 😕

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Went out for dawn patrol this morning looking for smallies on the local big ditch.
While I’ve yet to get one to eat in half a dozen days or so I do feel like I’m getting closer. Today I actually felt confident I was fishing NEAR fish as I was seeing them roll and jump a bit. Going to try again tomorrow.

D097A29B-1DE4-4664-9E43-C9AAADE75CEF.jpeg

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Actually put on waders and fished a river with the two hand stick this morning for a bit. First time since bass season started.

Report: Spey casting NOT on point. Fish NOT in evidence. I think we need a shot of rain. Did get to hang out with @Pink Nighty for a bit, which was cool.

7EBAEB43-39A9-4E36-B925-2F3D54A64417.jpeg583526BD-8942-4611-AB5D-B4FFD6AF38C5.jpeg

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Actually put on waders and fished a river with the two hand stick this morning for a bit. First time since bass season started.

Report: Spey casting NOT on point. Fish NOT in evidence. I think we need a shot of rain. Did get to hang out with @Pink Nighty for a bit, which was cool.

They mockingly started jumping right off the rocks you were standing in right after you left. No fish were harmed in the making of this skunking! Good to see you man.

Divad

Whitefish

You guys in Bham bring two handers to ponds? I knew something was wrong up there.

Hehe that river section could use a little push, 🤞 for some rain too

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
You guys in Bham bring two handers to ponds? I knew something was wrong up there.

Hehe that river section could use a little push, 🤞 for some rain too
If you're gonna get skunked you might as well chuck it far! First time to that stretch in a year, can confirm at these flows it's a single hand job.

Divad

Whitefish
If you're gonna get skunked you might as well chuck it far! First time to that stretch in a year, can confirm at these flows it's a single hand job.
😁 I like it. I’m guessing that is a primo spot when a little more water hits, the boulders look promising.

I tease because I was in the exact same boat yesterday on the 🐮. Forced into full floating so I could get at least some swing movement.