The first fall outing!

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The heavy rains of earlier in the week and the 30 degree drop in temps set the stage for what felt like a fall day of fishing. I hadn't been on a lake since June and was getting damned impatient to get back in action and today was perfect-solid low overcast, no wind, no rain and 60 degree temperature. I visited a little local lake about 14 minutes away from my house, a lake that I check on often for signs of surface activity. Two weeks ago in 90 degree weather there were fish taking stuff on the surface midday although they looked small. then about a week ago I visited the lake again and saw widespread activity even in 91 degree weather.

Assuming that the fish on this tiny lake would be small I took a 3wt CT rigged with a F/S line with a 15' intermediate tip and a 4wt with a Type III line. Both would prove to be ideal with the CT being more fun as the takes were near the surface. Expecting 10''-11'' fish I was immediately surprised when the 2nd fish was over 12'' and deep bodied. Most of the fish were in the 12-13'' range and were surprisingly strong with many making impressive jumps. On a 3wt they were great fun and those that were 14'' induced some big grins. And there was lots of them. I probably caught over 20 in less than 2 hours, often changing flies to see what produced best. The winning ticket was a size 14 Olive Willy on the intermediate with a size 12 Punkinhead on the Type III being almost as good. They liked the glass bead heads, I caught very little without them.

Catching small fish on light rods is akin to driving a slow car fast and just enjoying the experience. In a few days I'll be fishing a big Montana river that holds fish over 10 pounds but I doubt if I'll have much more satisfaction than I had today. Best practices today involved kicking my Super Fat Cat in a series of S turns that cause the fly to rise on the outside turns and sink on the inside turns. Hookups often occur right at the transition and sometimes hookups occur just as the line goes a little slack resulting in some impressive jumps. I don't see enough guys doing that, try it out and see if your hookup rate increases.

Fall is off to a great start and with a couple of our lakes producing 3-6# trout late in the season there is much to look forward to. Enjoy the bounty!

Shad

Life of the Party
That's how you get back to work! Nicely done!

I always zig zag when I troll flies, and like you, I get most takes on either the dropping slowdown or the accelerating pickup. I get a lot fewer bites trolling in a straight line. I've noticed the same thing seems to apply to trolling for salmon/etc. So many bites happen when you take a turn, take the boat out of gear; anything that changes the depth and/or speed of your presentation....