NFR The ESPN firings

Non-fishing related

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not enough. The wrong ones. Keeping Steven A. Smith and firing others ahead of him was just wrong. His big-mouthed opinionated blathering is the prototype for what is wrong with sports announcing nowadays. Please ESPN- replace this goon with someone a little more rational and less theatrical.

Two others that have totally outlived any usefulness are Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon on PTA. These old guys wax nostalgic about the sports events they have attended over the years and then talk loudly over each other assuming that because we have two ears we can process two conversations simultaneously. Both highly opinionated and both often wrong but being loud about it.

The charming Hannah Storm is still there but at 61 they could cut her loose anytime I suppose. And the beautiful and intelligent Mina Kimes is still employed but behind them is a host of low talent bimbos that are simply going through the motions. Sadly, we don't get to vote on who goes and who stays but I doubt that we would have voted Suzy Kolber out. Some good ones left, some really bad ones stayed.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Disney made some cost cutting decisions that surely won’t make some people happy…and I agree with you on Steven A Smith; he’s a bit bombastic for my tastes…

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I rarely watch ESPN any longer. Their programming became about the hosts, not the sports themselves.
SF

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
John Clayton is gone too
He's been gone for a year plus. This was a whole new round of layoffs.

Which is a bummer, I genuinely liked Clayton. Though I guess we still get him on 710AM if we want around here. EDIT: I'm an idiot. See posts below.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
ESPN is a dumpster fire. They have the absolute worst NFL broadcasts out of all the options.
...not to mention their baseball broadcast! Those broadcast have declined to a litany of interviews with players/managers/"personalities", nostalgia among ex jocks and the notion that the broadcasters themselves are actually stars. Throw in some lame humor and the constant giggling over inside jokes and you have the horror of an ESPN broadcast. The mute button is your friend.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter

Which is a bummer, I genuinely liked Clayton. Though I guess we still get him on 710AM if we want around here.
Clayton was great. RIP

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party

Which is a bummer, I genuinely liked Clayton. Though I guess we still get him on 710AM if we want around here.
The Professor passed away about a year ago if I'm not mistaken. One of the greats.

Flymph

Steelhead
All about ratings. Much like Politics, some people want the "bombastic" morons who say the same the same thing, repeatedly, and louder each time until a large user group buy in and shoot up the ratings.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
The Professor passed away about a year ago if I'm not mistaken. One of the greats.
Oh shit, that's right! I totally forgot about that. A bummer indeed.

Shows how much I listen to sports radio these days.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I didn't know ESPN fired a bunch of people. Did they axe Joe Buck?

Used to watch it regularly, back in the good ol days. Stu Scott, SVP, Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen, Craig Kilborn, Steve Levy, Chris Flowler, Neil Everett, Kenny Mayne, etc. They all were entertaining and had a light hearted funny side to their style that made watching sports highlights fun. Bummer ESPN managed to screw up a good thing. I only watch it for live sports now, and there NFL broadcasting leaves a bit to be desired.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Ben Maller Show.jpg

ESPN has been devastated by The Ben Maller Show in the sports radio world.