Taking kids fishing

BriGuy

Life of the Party
There is a kids only pond/lake in lacey at the lacey community center. Sorry, I don't recall the name. But it is part of city of lacey parks. It may also work.
It's Long's pond. It's kids only and they stock it. It has a little dock and you can walk about halfway around. There should be several good spots for casting. Before you commit, I would pay it a visit. During the recent dry spells, the water got quite low and nasty. It might be fine this time of year, though.

On the plus side, it has restrooms, play equipment and walking trails to explore. Woodland Creek also flows through the property. Not sure if you can fish it.

If you'd like, DM me and I'll check it out and send some pics.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Is the presence of trout a necessity? If things like bass and bluegill are just as good then most ponds with an open shoreline could work. I'm too far north to be of specific help but I noticed most suggestions were for trout ponds which are going to be more profit/retention oriented and age restricted.

Good luck on finding your spot! People that teach kids to fish are becoming harder to find even as more rods are on the water. As the designated kid instructor/birthday rod giver in the fam I find it incredibly rewarding and could not imagine trying to do it en masse.

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter
Is the presence of trout a necessity? If things like bass and bluegill are just as good then most ponds with an open shoreline could work. I'm too far north to be of specific help but I noticed most suggestions were for trout ponds which are going to be more profit/retention oriented and age restricted.

Good luck on finding your spot! People that teach kids to fish are becoming harder to find even as more rods are on the water. As the designated kid instructor/birthday rod giver in the fam I find it incredibly rewarding and could not imagine trying to do it en masse.
Trout are not a necessity. Any fish will do for us. We can travel within 30 minutes or so of the greater seattle area for regular projects. We are also doing a one-day event out of Tacoma this year too.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter

Bass and bluegill would be great! It's the proximity to Seattle and the open shoreline that are tough to find!

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Not to hijack this thread but is there any info about what you need or could have donated to be used? I’m not local and don’t have any fishing location info, but like the other hoarders here, I’m sure I have some extras, I just need a place to send it

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter
We can always use like-new gear to give to the kids: fly boxes, nippers, tying kits, boots, waders, and the list goes on. If you are interested in making donations, please send me a PM for details on how to do so.

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter
Well, once again we are thwarted in taking the kids out. We planned on using the Trophy Lake and Golf Resort for our one-day event with the foster kids but they won't be stocking their ponds in time. I reached out to WDFW and they suggested either Lake Meridian or Lake Fenwick. Has anyone been there to fish and do you think there would be enough access for a few kids to fish at the same time? Still open to other stocked pond suggestions. Thank you!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Well, once again we are thwarted in taking the kids out. We planned on using the Trophy Lake and Golf Resort for our one-day event with the foster kids but they won't be stocking their ponds in time. I reached out to WDFW and they suggested either Lake Meridian or Lake Fenwick. Has anyone been there to fish and do you think there would be enough access for a few kids to fish at the same time? Still open to other stocked pond suggestions. Thank you!
I’ve been to Meridian and it has quite a bit of space for shore casting and a fairly large dock, but it’s not necessarily a “sure thing” pond for beginners, though if you time it right, right after a huge dump of fish (which they do there at times), the stocker action can be pretty steady. There is also a large, modern, typically busy playground right there.