Taking kids fishing

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter
Hello all. I work with a non-profit called The Mayfly Project. We mentor foster children through fly fishing. We teach them about conservation, caring for our local waters, fly-fishing, fly-tying and a ton more. What we struggle with the most is finding a safe place to take them fishing. We need to find a place that has enough room for a group of about 10-20 people that also has fish! Maybe you know of a private stocked pond? Or a pay-to-fish place that will allow catch and release? We have taken kids to the U-fish place in Cle Elum in the past and it was wonderful. Unfortunately, they are no longer replying to any emails or voice mails. There is a place in Spanaway called Jim's u-fish but they will not allow catch and release. Does anyone here know of a person that could help us to locate water for our kids? These kids are in desperate need of outdoor time and someone to care about them enough to do the work to locate a safe place. Please help me out if you can. Thank you in advance.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Would a place like Pooh’s Ponds in Port Angeles work or would that be too far to travel?
It is a pay to play place.
SF

Chadk

Life of the Party
For casting practice and a chance to possibly hook up... Lake Tye in Monroe is an option as long as it isn't a warm sunny day - the beach is usually wide open. Safe and very group friendly. I may be able to help with some lessons. Been involved with foster care (adopted 5 out of they system) and would love to help.

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter
For casting practice and a chance to possibly hook up... Lake Tye in Monroe is an option as long as it isn't a warm sunny day - the beach is usually wide open. Safe and very group friendly. I may be able to help with some lessons. Been involved with foster care (adopted 5 out of they system) and would love to help.
Please send me a PM so we can talk about how to help!

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Bumping this back up for more eyes! I also volunteer with this group, and it really is hard to find shore - accessible stillwater in the Puget Sound area.

Even a farm pond with a bunch of sunfish/perch would be great!

Thanks for any suggestions, y'all!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Bumping this back up for more eyes! I also volunteer with this group, and it really is hard to find shore - accessible stillwater in the Puget Sound area.

Even a farm pond with a bunch of sunfish/perch would be great!

Thanks for any suggestions, y'all!

Would Gissberg Twin Ponds in Arlington work?
Restrooms, close to I-5 and restaurants.
The north pond is juvenile only. The west end is pretty open on the north pond if I remember correctly.
SF

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
The north pond is juvenile only. The west end is pretty open on the north pond if I remember correctly.
SF

Thanks for the suggestion @Stonedfish .
Gissberg would be a pretty good option, except it's always been packed on summer weekends when I've seen it. Which can be a little problematic with 5-10 newbie fly casters.
It might work if we have a smaller group sometime, though. Thanks!

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter
SF

I will go take another look to see if there is back casting room. We went and checked out Trophy Lake and Golf today and it looks like it will work for what we need. Unfortunately, they have not stocked the ponds since COVID and there are no fish! If they stock this spring we can definitely take the kids.

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
@FishingGirl would one of the Vance Creek Ponds work in Grays Harbor Co.? Or is that too far?

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter
@FishingGirl would one of the Vance Creek Ponds work in Grays Harbor Co.? Or is that too far?

That is a bit too far for us but I will definitely keep it in mind. Thank you.

RCF

Life of the Party
I would like to give a shout-out to @Northern and @FishingGirl for their volunteering with The Mayfly Project. This is for a couple of reasons...

They share their time and expertise with kids that are less fortunate and need an anchor/base to grow from. When kids are young and discover something that they truly enjoy, fishing, it provides a foundation to grow from. I have fished with both of these ladies a couple of times, more to come, and they run circles around me in fly fishing, fly casting and catching. And to share that with those so deserving is purely out of their own hearts and is purist type of true giving.

One of my best fishing buddies daughters went through their program. Our family has had their family over for more than 20 years. Steve, my buddy, loves to fish. We always go out and catch fish. We took out his daughter for the first time a couple of years back. She was beaming from ear to ear in her new boots, waders, and new rod and reel. Within a few minutes she had a nice fish one on. She brought it in all by herself. Only thing we reminded her was to keep the tip up. She landed a 20"+ trout all by herself. Very well taught for sure!

As some of you know our daughters have been adopted. We get our adoption group together every year at our place. When the girls were old enough I took them out fishing. Caught some fish. Then was lunch time. We went in. After lunch asked if anyone wanted to go back out. Vivian was the only one. Out we went and she caught a number of fish. About a week later I got a handwritten note from her. What 9 year-old writes a thank you note? It was her first time fishing. It was signed:

I like tugs :)
Vivian

The positive impact we can make on others should be taken whenever we can. These ladies do for sure! They also protect locations and information like no else. So I encourage you to provide some help knowing it will always remain in strict confidence. Plus knowing you are making a difference warms the heart and soul.

Please help them if you can

RCF

Last edited:

Anyfish

Just one more cast...
There is a kids only pond/lake in lacey at the lacey community center. Sorry, I don't recall the name. But it is part of city of lacey parks. It may also work.

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter
I have contacted WDFW in the past about using a "kids-only" pond for our group but since at least one of the kids is over 16, I am not allowed to use it. All of the kids must be under 16 and that is not always the case with our groups. I do love all of your suggestions though! They could come in handy one day!