Non-Fly Switching treble to single hook on small kastmaster

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I really don't like hooking trout with a treble hook unless I'm planning to bonk them (which I rarely do). But I like to use a small Kastmaster from time to time for bass or panfish.

Anyone have an advice on switching out the treble for a single on trout/panfish size (~1/8 oz) Kastmasters? I've switched hooks on a Vibrax before, but never on a little lure. No idea what hook to use or what size.

And yes, I know Kastmaster makes a single hook version. But they only seem to do so in the over-1-oz sizes.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
This is based on the single hook version.
SF
1714677363718.png

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Wait, do they make a single hook version in smaller sizes? All I saw were big ass ones.

Only big sizes in the single hook version.
SF

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Interestingly enough, they also apparently make a tiny single hook version in 1/28 & 1/22 oz?

SeaRunner

Steelhead
Josh,
For a 1/8 oz. KM I use a Gamakatsu #8 Siwash (stock # 10006).

This is a good hook. As a kid I fished SRC with gear and would use this hook to replace the hooks on the triple teasers I used. This hook seemed to hold better than the stock hooks. Some of the strikes on light spinning gear were pretty epic. Haven't done it in years since I found fly fishing for SRC, but lots of good memories.

Trout Trekker

Steelhead
This section is one of the things I find most refreshing about this website. ;)

If I was so inclined and not nearly so lazy, I could put together a conversion chart of Siwash hooks for KM's, Rapala F's. SR's and S, Roostertail's, Mepps, etc. which makes me sound like a real dirt bag gear guy (a badge I wear with great pride), but I'll bet that I'm the only DBGG reading this that has a handful of flies in....

1714680063572.png

So, am I dirt bag gear guy or a dirt bag fly tier? :unsure:

Dennisoft

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've swapped quite a few kastmasters from treble to single for my partner who loves fishing them. A rule of thumb I've used is to match the siwash hook gape to about twice that of the stock treble.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
This section is one of the things I find most refreshing about this website.
I actually just sent Evan and Billy a message earlier saying "Look at that, even on a fly site, got an answer to my gear fishing question in minutes!"

Makes me happy that we have so much fishing knowledge of all sorts around here.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I feel ya Josh. Since the regs demand single point hooks in so many places, why do the makers insist on trebles??

Anyway, was gonna suggest the Siwash, too as well as the Gami Spinner Bait Trailer or even the Big River hooks.

Even though the big river has a turned up eye, I've used it to good effect as the only hook on 3-4 inch plugs such as Creek Chubs , in a pinch .