Switch rod?

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Kinda set on Sage…. Older rods
I have the sage Z-Axis 7110-4 which I like a lot but a bit light for some adventures.
Looking at an 8 weight. Thinking…..
8110-4 X. I like the idea that I can single hand this for a few minutes here and there through an afternoon of fishing.
8116-4 One. No single handing but probably more stout? Throw an heavier line? Almost a true mini Spey rod?
8119-4 Ignitor. Can get one for a good price but have some hesitation over it. It’s getting a bit longer, is it ultra fast? Or is one and ignitor similar?

I’m asking. Have not tried either the one or ignitor. The Z is a great hood feel caster but I have not seen an 8 come up for sale in a while or I missed it. Not even sure I want one. Looking for a bit of beef. I have two longer 8 and 9 weight speys. Kinda looking for a lighter but power puncher 8 weight for the OP and other PNW waters. Thinking Sage only so others may not apply. Well except the NRX+ which caught my eye in the 8110-4 configuration.

Pleae give me something to digest on. Thanks

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a One 8116. It's money with about 525gr, 10' of t-whatever, and a half-chicken fly. Easy to cast; upper section loads quickly with plenty of power left in the lower sections.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
Interesting. I have the Sage XP 896 and 8100-4 For those jobs that the switch can’t handle.
Send that XP 8100-4 to Steve Godshall, he can make you a removable extended butt.
My RPL was an ACR build, the original butt was a little loose, Steve made one that fits tight (burnt cork on both ends). His prices are reasonable and his work is exceptional.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
More of Steve’s work, Iconoglass 886-4. I had the blank sent from North Fork Composites directly to Steve, he had it to me just over a week from when he received the blank. Fast, knowledgeable, and a deal at prices charged IMG_3253.jpeg

IMG_3252.jpeg